Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first brisket

Options
Well, I did a brisket for the first time and it was ok, a little dry. I also did some baby back ribs and some veggies in olive oil with dry ranch dressing mix and they were so good!!! I could have eaten a whole zucchini by myself!!! Love how you can do the whole dinner on the egg.

Comments

• CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    I forgot I did corn too. It was so good!!!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The corn,zuke and ribs look amazing. The brisket looks like a flat which is hard for me to make tender and juicy without wrapping at 160. Did you cut across the grain? That will make a difference in texture as well

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Where do you live

• CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    Hoover. What about you?
  • CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    Mattman, it is the first one I have ever seen in the grocery store and it was 2.4 pounds. I will have to go look to see how I cut it. At the price I could have gotten steak but I have always wanted to try one on the egg.
  • fljoemon
    Options
    Next time if you get a flat brisket, try doing Travis style .. lot of people have had good succulent moist brisket doing it that way. The cook looks great though .. put some BBQ sauce on the brisket and its good eating.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Hoover. What about you?
    Huntsville
  • CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    What is Travis style?
  • CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    Thanks!!! Stupid question, how do you add wood chips once the plate setter is on?
  • rifrench
    Options
    IF you are using a Large BGE, get a Woo2 from Ceramic Grill Store. The plate setter sets inside the Woo2. You can lift everything at once and set it aside to add chips, chunks, etc. If you ever intend to use a cast iron grill, get the CI version of the Woo2, Both the SS and CI grids will work. 
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,400
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Flats are a challenge-small flats a bigger challenge.  Until recently all I could get was flats (unless paying a big premium for packers) and I was always happy with a double or better (think baseball).  I have hosed up many of them but when you nail it, then you will keep coming back.  
    Recently (within the past year) I have been able to occasionally get prime packers (Costco) and they are so much more forgiving.  Get back on the brisket horse and grab a packer (choice grade or better) when you can.  You will be a believer.  BTW-not from Texas and not paid for this post :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

Thanks!!! Stupid question, how do you add wood chips once the plate setter is on?

I put my wood in just before I put the plate setter in. This way it gives time for the bad smoke to burn off as you get up to temp. If you are going to do a flat only, try to do a bigger one and foiling with some liquid at 160 will help keep it moist. Dr BBQ like to add about a 1/2 cup of coffee witch I may try sometime soon. I also add a little beef both to the brisket after I slice it. That helps keep it moist. Everything looks really yummy and I love veggies on the egg.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Bury the chunks down in the lump in layers to the top of the lump. This works for me. As the fire burns from top to the bottom the wood chunks will burn thru the whole cook. Well at least for a good part of it.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have never cooked a brisket flat that small. Most of the ones I see at the store are 6-7 lbs. I would think the size may have also been part of the reason it was a little dry. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I also have access to 3-5lb flats at my supermarket, I like them for my small family and I can do one at 250F in about 5 to 71/2 hrs in my experience on my med egg. I also foil and do the Dr. BBq coffee and hot sauce or other stuff depending on my mood, then add the liquid  back to my chopped brisket or to the sliced meat as it sits in a casserole or serving dish. Your dinner looks wonderful by the way.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "