Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I scored some beef spares and short ribs!

Options
TigerTony
TigerTony Posts: 1,078
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
Went to teh grocery to pick up some sliced bread for lunch. I walked past teh butcher section, glanced in at the "today's manager special" and found some beef spare ribs and  beef short ribs marked down less than half price.
I got every thing you see in teh pic for $11.26 . Two slabs and 6 shorts.  I actually felt guilty.
YES! BINGO! Finally.......!
They have been on for 2 hours at 300 dome temp.  I pulled the membrane and rubbed with Firehouse Flashback Creole seasoning.
I don't think I will foil, just gonna geaux until tender. What ya think?
Damn! I forgot to buy the sliced bread.
"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looking good. I have some in the freezer that am wanting to cook, but wife says no
    I may do them this week sometime. What temp are you taking them to?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • TigerTony
    Options
    What temp you suggest? Should I use my thermopen? 
    With pork ribs I usually do the flex test. Was thinking the same for beef.
    New Orleans

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    If you want all of the ribs done around the same time you might need to foil the short ribs to accelerate them a little. The short ribs either need more heat or time. However I see you have them closer to the edge of the platesetter which will give them a little more heat.

If time is no issue then sure you can go without foil.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • TigerTony
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thanks! Time is no factor. I'm here by my self. Wife not coming home until late this evening. Not worried about her eating. She can re-warm her piece after if she wants. 
    I just checked the internal temp and the shorts are showing 195 ish and the spares are at a lil over 200.
    I put them on at 10:30 it's 1:00 now.  Dome temp was and still is 300
    2.5 hrs is quick don't ya think.
    When would you pull them off?
    New Orleans

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day-great score.  And R2Egg2Q is an eggspert so I would listen to his suggestions.  Wherever you land make sure the short ribs are tender.  They can take a while.  Great eats await.  BTW I find beef ribs much better than their pork cousins.  YMMV-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TigerTony
    Options
    They both came out great. Loved them!
    Before I took them off the egg I sauced them with my homemade hickory sauce, placed them on the counter in a covered pan. Just finished eating three spares and two short ribs. Don't know which I like better.
    These were sooo good that I'm gonna have a hard time deciding between pork or beef ribs from now on.
    New Orleans

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They look awesome.  I love beef ribs as well.  If my wife would allow it I would cook those over pork ribs most of the time. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Great cook-and a "no-brainer" here...beff ribs over pork every time.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    They look perfect. I did some large beef ribs once and was going to take them to 195-205, but my father-n-law said they would be tough at that temp, so I pulled them at 165. They were good, but they weren't fall of the bone tender. Enjoy.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.