Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New LBGE 8 Days Ago, 3 Cooks Down & Lots of Pics!

Options
aznative75
aznative75 Posts: 16
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
I've been eyeing a BGE for over a year now and finally pulled the trigger last Saturday and dived in immediately. After coming home with my new, shiny, LBGE, plate setter, BGE Lump, Firestarter and ash tool, I, being a typical man, could not wait to take it for a test cook so i went out and purchased a pork butt.

At 7a on Sunday morning, I put the butt on at 275 degrees with some leftover hickory chips I had from the gas grill (I now have chunks) and was aiming for a 4p pull.  At 4p, the internal temp was roughly 160 and due to time, pulled it knowing I wasn't at the ideal 200F. I believe the butt stalled at 160 as it was there for several hours. Now I understand the need for 1.5 - 2 hours per pound!  Nonetheless, it was deemed a smashing success by all and with leftovers going to work for the next week, even those getting scraps at the office were highly impressed and raving!

Below is the butt on the LBGE

Below is the pulled pork. It appears I even managed to "pull" off a decent smoke ring!

On Wednesday, with the extra time I have for dinner prep, I decided to reverse sear a ribeye and lamb chop.  Cooked indirect at about 300F for 20 minutes, I flung open the bottom and top vent to get the LBGE to temp for searing.  In less than 3 minutes, I went from 300F dome to this!

I seared the ribeye and chop on each side for about 90 seconds and this was the end result of the ribeye. The taste is completely different than I'm use to for my ribeye and I do make a mean ribeye on the gasser.  

On Thursday, my Thermapen (blue, because it's the fastest), Maverick ET-733, Beer Paw Meat Handler and Grill Grip Tool arrived in the mail so again, I had to put them to immediate use!  What better to cook for a quick Sunday dinner than some Spatchcock chickens.  Thanks to the butcher at the grocery store for doing the spatchcocking (is that a word?) after I described what spatchbock meant.

Threw in the lump and got them going for about 30 minutes before throwing in a few hickory chunks. Hooked up the Maverick and was aiming to do the chickens at about 400F, raised direct to an IT on the breast to 155F. After getting the chickens on, my grill temp stabilized at 330F.  I fought with it for a bit until I decided to completely open the top vent all the way and open the bottom vent about half way. That finally got the temp rising and after crossing 400F, I dialed it back and was finally able to get it to stabilize around 390F.  Good enough to keep going.

A little over an hour later, the beautiful digital numbers on the Maverick showed an IT of 155F.  I grabbed the Thermapen (blue, because it's the fastest) and checked the breast IT.  It only showed 135F.  Crap!  A quick check and I realized I had performed an I.D Ten-T error!  The probe from the Maverick was in the thigh.  You'd think as a man, I would know a breast when I saw one!  Anyway, left the probe in the thigh and let it get to 170F IT.  Took the Thermapen (blue, because it's the fastest), and checked the breast again.  155F IT! Perfecto!

Pulled the chickens off and let them sit for about 15 mins before slicing and dicing them up for the 8 hungry mouths who had been smelling them for the better part of 90 minutes!

I will say though, this was probably the best, most flavorful, juicy chicken I have ever made!  Here is the final result.  Both rubbed with EVOO. One with a rub I found from Guy Fieri that I've used in the past and really like and the other one I did half Jerk and half with a simple seasoning of pepper, rosemary, salt, bell pepper and garlic.

On Labor Day, I'm aiming for smoked ribs and the following week, pizza. Now I need to order some more toys to make that happen!

I do want to take a minute and thank EVERYONE who posts on these forums. The wealth of information available makes it easy to jump right in and start cooking with confidence.  All the tips, tricks and humor on this forum make the LBGE one of my favorite purchases and all of you make it better!  Thank you!

And for that, I'm going to go pour a cold one and raise a glass!  Salud!

Comments