Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What set-up do I need to lower the grate?

Options
I'm hoping to find a rig/woo/spider, etc. for my Large Egg to drop the grate from the normal direct level for searing, steaks, etc. 

I bought a 13" CI grate and a PSWoo2 thinking that was the answer. It wasn't. Given my type of cooks, I really don't see a need for the PSW002 but I do want to ability to lower the grate level. 

Any suggestions? 
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    You need the spider

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    The spider will allow you to drop below the fire ring for searing, otherwise just toss the 13" grate directly on the fire.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Spider from CGS. 3 legged version if your fire ring has notches in it to rest your plate setter. 5 legged version if it is older and doesn't have the notches.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    At one time they had a pswoo3 that had the spider built in, but they discontinued that and now the spider is sold separately.  

The PSWoo2 gives you the ability to go raised direct- which is a handy feature.   It will also allow you to remove the plate setter a little easier.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I've got 3 bricks for raised direct. Works fine. The PSWoo2 is just another "big" thing to store when not in use.  I'm not convinced. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    @JRWitee

Thanks, I just ordered the three leg spider. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    spider works, you can also take out the fire ring and lower the grate. dont remember if its the stock grate that fits down there or my 18 inch weber grate. put you 13 inch on top of that setup
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it