Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked Beans

Options
So no comments that I need to get another small bge-I know that. But I m now stuck with one XL bge and am smoking ribs today slow and low at 225 degrees. I also want to make baked beans. Steve raichlen has a great quick and easy recipe that calls for grilling indirect at 350 for 30 mins. Never made beans before. Will they get really messed up if I cook them for an hour or two at 225 with the ribs or should I just suck it up and do it on my gas grill at 350. Thoughts?

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I always start my beans inside and I then finish them on the egg. 225F is fine, I usually go to 250F but after they boiled they don't really become any more tender. It is more a mather of texture (thickening) and concentration of flavor by evaporation. If you are tight on time you can reduce or remove some liquid...

You can inspire yourself from this post:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149958/apple-smoked-maple-syrup-baked-beans

You can add bbq sauce, etc... whatever is on your mind.

Options
    I suspect at dome 225, you would get boiled beans, not baked beans, and it would take a lot longer to make them soft enough to eat.
  • paqman
    Options
    Oh, I forgot, please report back and post some pics!

Options
    You'll be fine with 225 but you may not get as much crust on top. I usually just put my beans in whatever temp. Sometimes I'll throw them in low and they soak up some smoke and nice color then throw them in the oven to crust the top up some if my egg isn't available to go higher.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Rblument
    Rblument Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks guys. Actually I have an idea. Cook the ribs low and slow for the normal 4-5 hours at 225 then transfer them to the gas grill on low temp and indirect to keep them warm and crank up the egg to 350 and bake the beans for 30 mins. Think that will b better?
  • paqman
    Options
    No... I see no benefit baking the beans on the egg for just 30 minutes..

Options
    I think the beans will be fine cooked at 225, but another thing to consider is just split the difference and bump the temp up to 275 or so.  Ribs will cook fine at 275 (or higher). 

Another random tip.  If your bean recipe calls for bacon and you have the space throw the bacon on the egg for a while and let it cook until it is crispy then chop it up to put in the beans.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• paqman
    Options
    I think the beans will be fine cooked at 225, but another thing to consider is just split the difference and bump the temp up to 275 or so.  Ribs will cook fine at 275 (or higher). 

Another random tip.  If your bean recipe calls for bacon and you have the space throw the bacon on the egg for a while and let it cook until it is crispy then chop it up to put in the beans.  

Options
    If your bean recipe calls for bacon and you have the space throw the bacon on the egg for a while and let it cook until it is crispy then chop it up to put in the beans.  
    Good idea!