Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kiln dried oak

Options
I work in a shop that uses a lot of kiln dried red oak and there a lot of scraps. Can I use them as smoking wood as is or do I need to do something to them first.
Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    No prob there, as long as they are kiln dried only and not treated with chemicals ever, go for it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited August 2014
    Options
    My only advice is try some to see if you like oak...I find it to be strong. It's your meat and your taste. What the rest of us think shouldn't matter!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I use it it on heavy cuts of beef and really like it. Good to have friends in the woodworking biz.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am going to use it on my next brisket.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    You might even try some of the chemically treated ones. They may make your pork butt grow a brisket or something. How could that be bad?

Little Rock, AR