Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A little smoke?

Options
Hey all! Need a little advice. I adjusted my lid because I had about an 1/8" lip on my XL. I guess over time, the lid loosened and shifted a bit. So, there was a slight underbite up front behind the handle. Anyway, that project was kind if a pain in the a**. Still not sure if the bands should be closer to the edges of the lid and base, or further down around the notches... Any opinions are welcome on that front.

The other concern is that I had the temp up around 450-500 last night and some smoke was puffing out the right side. Not a lot of smoke, just like a burning cig. Anyway, my adjustment must have created an uneven seat where the gasket had worn down. Should I be concerned? Will it seat down over time? Sorry for the long post. I'm anal retentive with stuff like this. Any feedback is appreciated and TGIF!
XLBGE, SS table
McKinney, TX.

Comments

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    I am the wrong guy for the answer I'm sure but, I would try to remedy it.  I think with low and slow cooks you will have a hard time holding your temps.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @MCRyan‌ after you made your dome adjustment did you perform a dollar bill test clear around? That should be done on any egg after adjusting to ensure a tight fit dome to base.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ No, I've never heard of that "test". I'll do a search and look for instructions. I'm disappointed that an attempt to "fix" an alignment issue is snowballing into more issues.

What about the bands? Is there a rule if thumb regarding their placement around the base and lid? Just wondering.
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If the gasket is much less in thickness on that side it's probably the problem.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MCRyan
    Options
    I think you are right henapple. Is it a really big deal if it's just a little smoke? It's not like it's billowing out or anything. Only at high temps do i see any puffs.
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • MCRyan
    Options
    Just a little update...  I reajusted my top band yesterday and performed the dollar "bill test" with some print paper in about six different places around the Egg.  I shifted the lid a bit with a subtle nudges front to back, left to right.  Nothing major.  I lit her up last night and cooked skirt steak & chicken for fajitas at 500 degrees.  Not a puff of smoke anywhere in sight around the edges when closed.  NICE!

I read a lot of info about lid adjustments.  It appears that a good a rule of thumb is to position and tighten the bottom base band as close to the edge, or as close/flush to the top of the base as possible.  Then, loosen the top band, adjust accordingly with the dollar bill test and tighten the band up where it sits.  Pretty logical.  Again, thanks for all the feedback with this issue!!!
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @MCRyan‌ Glad you to were able resolve the problem. Egg on.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MCRyan
    Options
    Thanks NP!  Doing brats for a large crew tonight.  Great weekend for cooking out.
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options

that a good information except up here in the great whit north we dont have any paper $1 or$2 .lol but we do have print paper 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • MCRyan
    Options
    @cook861 - that's funny! There's a good reason as to why I went with regular paper (wife and three kids), but I digress :)
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.