Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egg + 1st boston butt!

Options
TNegg
TNegg Posts: 89
Hello! I am smoking my first Boston butt today. It's been on for two hours and it seems to be going fairly quickly. I've been holding my temperature steady at 250 and it's up to 138 meat temperature. It's hard for me not to open the egg and look! Is it cooking too fast? Also, does it look like my thermometers in the right place?

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

Welcome to the club!

The meat probe appears to be very close to the edge, you want it in the middle of the shoulder without touching the bone. As for the pit probe make sure it is not hanging over the edge or you will get a false reading. The internal temp climbs quickly the first few hours, then slows dramically. You will hit a stall in the 160 - 170 range and it can stay in that range for several hours. Have fun and post some final pics.  

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    You might want to give that pan a little air room off your platesetter. 4 half golf ball size foil balls will work. I put salt and not water in pan (but that's just me).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TNegg
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I need to run an errand. Should I open it up and move the probes when I get home or leave it?
  • Mickey
    Options
    My advice is to get rid of the probes. They (IMO) cause more problems on a simple cook. The most important item (IMO) is a Thermapen. Check it after a few hours and you can see how it goes.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TNegg
    Options
    Hmm... I don't have a thermapen. Is the one sold by green egg that is shaped like a thermapen the same thing? The pool store down the road from me sells them.
  • TNegg
    Options
    It's been 4 hours. This is the 1st time I opened the egg. I just basted it with apple juice. Internal temp is 165.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    looks good, but judging on color alone, looks like you have a ways to go.  most will be black or really, really dark when they're done.  I'll bet it's still close to 165 in a couple of hours.
  • Mickey
    Options
    TNegg said:
    Hmm... I don't have a thermapen. Is the one sold by green egg that is shaped like a thermapen the same thing? The pool store down the road from me sells them.

NO. Not at all. Waste of money.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    TNegg said:
    I also bought one of those for $20.00. After only one cook my purchased a Thermapen for me. 

You need to get one soon! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • TNegg
    Options
    It's still not done.... It's up to 178*
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Bringing it home. Rolling at 250℉ and just popping out of the stall I'd guess 6 or so more hrs to completion. Or you could bump it to 300℉ or so to finish a bit earlier. I don't wrap mine personally but, you could do this also.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TNegg
    Options
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Are ya still rolling the same pit temp of 250℉ uncovered and no pan?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • TNegg
    Options
    It's got a pan with apple juice and apple cider vin.... I wrapped it and turned it up to 295* ... The suspense is killing me! It smells so good! I was gone earlier and had a little temp drop but now the meat temp is almost there!
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @TNegg‌ Yep you'll.be having some PP very soon I'd say. Wrapped and temp bump should get you to the finish line fairly quick. If you want to firm up the bark uncover for the last 30+ minutes.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • TNegg
    Options
    Well... The apple juice in the pan sort of started to burn so I added water to the pan and wrapped it so it wouldn't smell like burnt juice.... You all make it sound so easy but really you all have mad skills! Thanks everybody for the help!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just wait, after you have a few more under your belt you will be producing PP without thinking about it. Next time try with no liquid in the drip pan. Just elevate the pan with spacers of some sort (balled up foil, etc) off the plate setter. Try a new variation each time, you will dial in on the method you like.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @DMW‌ true dat! It's a lazy day L&S with a butt. Chilling with a few cold ones. B-)
    A butt, unlike a brisket is more difficult to miff up. @TNegg‌ good eats await you. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • TNegg
    Options
    Update ! It finally got up to 205* so I pulled it off and while I was waiting cooked up a quick stir fry veggie! Everything was awesome! I even had to take my neighbor a plate . We don't talk often but he walked over and said he couldn't believe how good it smelled! Thanks for talking me through it!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    $$$$! =D> They'll get easier as you do more. Then you'll start experimenting more w/ diff rubs, wood chunks etc etc. Nice job.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014