Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sage pesto stuffed pork loin

ChillyWillis
ChillyWillis Posts: 893
edited July 2014 in Pork
After reading about @SGH‌ pork loin yesterday and seeing a price I couldn't walk away from at the butcher it looks like tonight's meal will be Pork loin stuffed with sage pesto.

The Pesto:

Roll cut pork loin:

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Sounds like a incredible meal. Can't wait to see the out come. Good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ChillyWillis

I grabbed some butchers twine to tie the loin, but then I saw the bacon in my fridge.

On the one hand SWMBO is currently dieting to get into "wedding dress" shape..... On the other hand BACON.

The struggle continues.
  • ChillyWillis

Good news, the bacon prevailed. Some things in the world are worth fighting for, and bacon is one of them.

• SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Bring it on home brother!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    PORK WITH BACON YEAH BABY!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • ChillyWillis
    edited July 2014
    On the egg at 350. I tried putting the roast rack over a skillet with potatoes in it because... what the heck experimenting is fun, and bacon grease is tasty on potatoes.

It was delicious! Next time I think I'll just use the egg for they meat and do the potatoes inside but all in all it was a success.

• SGH
    Looks like a winner to me. Excellent cook!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Bacon grease is excellent on everything! Again your good looks great!

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    @SGH‌ thanks for the kind words, and far be it for me to disparage the fine (and well earned) name of bacon grease.

However with that being said I'd make a few changes to the sides for next time because I thought the flavor profile was too similar throughout the meal. I'm thinking garlic Parmesan mash with a side salad for this one. I'd probably add bit of garlic and basil to the pesto as well.

All in all I'd give it a 7/10 though... The roast was still a winner. I'm my own worst critic.
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Great knife skills! That loin looks paper thin.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • ChillyWillis
    edited July 2014
    wbradking said:

Great knife skills! That loin looks paper thin.

Thanks @wbradking‌! The loin its self was very small, so it took some work. My local butcher hired a new guy the other week and I'm guessing the 2 pork loin pack I got was supposed to be a butterfly he cut too deep, however I made it work. I'm sure that's why I got it $3 a lb.

It ended up being a perfect cook for SWMBO and I. I even managed to slap some DP swamp venom and a glaze of bone sucking sauce on the smaller loin to slice for sandwiches tomorrow after the cameras were off.

Great price+great meat+inspiration and a bit of elbow grease = amazing food.

Thanks for all of your part in this!
  • SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Do you ever stuff with cheese?

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    edited July 2014
    Absolutely, all of the time. However with my fiancé dieting for the wedding there are only so many calories I can pack into a meal when it's just the two of us.

For a meal like this id probably toss in a bit of mozzarella. For a BBQ style some pepper jack or maybe a chipotle cheddar...

• SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    I love them stuffed with cheese. That being said I'm not watching my figure anymore. I should be but Iove to eat!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited July 2014
    @ChillyWillis‌
    I know this is getting off topic but do you use a controller? Been considering getting one for my egg. Sorry for getting off topic.

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    edited July 2014
    No worries my friend.

I do not. I've owned an egg for almost a year now and I consider it a point of pride to dial it in close to the temp and let her settle as close as I can get her. The only tool I use is a 0.99 fan from Walmart to fan the flames. I suspect I won't need that anymore after
    My looftlighter arrives tomorrow.

It's been a long and sometimes frustrating process but it's paying off in spades now. In the interest of full disclosure though SWMBO has been known to call my maverick the meat baby when it wakes us up at night! =))
  • SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    I hear ya brother. I have had my egg for almost 2 1/2 years and don't use a controller either. I have toyed with the idea of getting one several times but never have. Just thought I would ask.

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    edited July 2014
    I clean my egg out before any slow and low or +450 cook for friends with a shop vac and have had no issues ever holding a temp. I also have a galvanized trash can with a lid next to the egg. Whenever I clean it I put all of the lump from the fire ring into the can. I toss the cover on and shake it up and down a few times together the ash to the bottom, then redistribute the used lump in the new load where I need to fill out space. It's been very consistent for me so far for obtaining easy and consistent temps.
  • SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Agreed. The shop vac is the way to go. I have never had issues holding temp either.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Mighty tasting looking @ChillyWillis‌ :-bd
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Deelish!

That pork looks very tasty. SWMBO. here is not a fan of cheese either, so that is probably how I would make it as well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Mighty fine looking meal CW. The only thing that beats pork on pork is pork on pork on pork. Say if it was stuffed with some pork. :)) Looks like you went a little skimpy on the bacon. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The food looks ok but that cutting board is beautiful 
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Where you at brother Chilly? Haven't seen you own in a while. I certainly hope that all is well and that you return soon my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• @SGH‌ I'm alive and well brother. I was on vacation for a week, followed by the combination of my fiancée getting sick over Labor Day and my iPhone camera deciding to die on me (which makes posting cooks a bit harder). I'll be picking up my Himalayan salt block this weekend and posting a cook with that soon. Thanks for the concern brother.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @SGH‌ I'm alive and well brother. I was on vacation for a week, followed by the combination of my fiancée getting sick over Labor Day and my iPhone camera deciding to die on me (which makes posting cooks a bit harder). I'll be picking up my Himalayan salt block this weekend and posting a cook with that soon. Thanks for the concern brother.

I just seen a Himalayan salt block on the FireCraft website. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on them. Looking forward to your future post.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I second that emotion. I've got a salt block sitting around gathering dust, I could use some inspiration. Glad post bumped, that's a damned fine looking cook!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • I just found this thread. I know your cook was a long time ago, but wow oh wow did it look good. Great Job! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Glad to hear that all is well my friend. Looking forward to your return to the forum brother Chilly.

Status- Standing by.

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Looks great!!! Would be interested in the details of the pesto if you could.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH