Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire grate - Is brass okay?

Options
2»

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I've got Hi que for my large and small. Love them both. On the large, just be prepared when you first start using it. Mine comes uo to temp WAY faster than with the stock grate. It will go nuclear in no time if I'm not careful or not paying attention.

Little Rock, AR

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @Firemanyz > you said "The metal fire grate has a 5 year warranty".

Damn! I  wish I had known that. I bought my Lg bge in 2006. and the grate cracked only after a year or so of use. I brought it to the Ace dealer where I bought egg and he told me that grates aren't covered. I believed him and bought a new one from him. Shortly after my fire box cracked. He said it was covered and that I needed to bring it in with the receipt. Well finding the receipt was near impossible for me. I had been living in a FEMA trailer on my driveway for a year after Katrina flooded my neighborhood. Filing receipts away while rebuilding my house was last thing on my mind. I knew it was somewhere but couldn't find it. So I cooked with teh cracked firebox for over a year ( it fit together like a puzzle). Then one day I find the receipt and brought it to the Ace dealer with the cracked firebox and he then replaced it for me. Well, sure enough shortly after that my plate-setter cracked. I brought that in with the receipt from the egg and he wouldn't replace it. He claimed that plate-setter weren't covered and besides he said  "it wasn't listed on the invoice".
    I had bought it separately months later. I couldn't find the invoice. Because of one of his kind employees, my plate-setter was replaced one day while the owner wasn't there. He looked up a receipt for a plate-setter on his computer that was purchased by someone and used that for me.
    Now I have another cracked grate
    Well I don't feel like arguing with this guy over a few dollars. But I might try the mothership and see what they say.
    Two years ago I bought a med bge and yes I started a file and I save all my bge receipts.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans