Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Stir Fry on the small - how to get it hotter?

Options
No pic, but it happened.  Fired up the small with a 14" carbon steel wok which I bought last week and seasoned over the weekend.  Had lava in the fire box, started with the wok on a wok ring, but it was not hot enough.  Got rid of the ring, and it was hotter, but not as hot as I hoped.  The cook was a success, but took longer than I think it should have.  Unfortunately with the 14" Wok, I can't get any closer to the fire or I will block the air flow.  Will try filling with even more lump the next time.

Any suggestions from the experts on this matter?
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I think you're on the right page with filling the lump higher. You can't get the wok lower since it's 14" in diameter so bring the lump up & get it closer to the wok. Another option would be to get a Mini Max when they come out as your wok will be much closer to the lump :D
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • speleoegg
    speleoegg Posts: 67
    Options
    I think your Wok is too big for the small. I use a 12" on my Joe Jr that is half an inch larger in diameter and I wish I had a 11" wok. I crank the dome temp to 650f and go vents wide open in the bottom.

1 Large BGE, 1 Keg & 1 Joe Jr

Ajax, Ontario
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Did you clean the egg out well? For wok cooks, it's much easier for me to get to 600+ if I start with a clean egg and lump filled up to the top.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options

caliking said:
    Did you clean the egg out well? For wok cooks, it's much easier for me to get to 600+ if I start with a clean egg and lump filled up to the top.
    I did clean the egg before starting, had to disassemble the inside!  I now understand the comments about it being tough to clean the small.  

Vent was wide open, and I don't know the dome temp because I did not close the lid.  

I guess I will fill above the fire ring for the next one.  In retrospect, a smaller wok would have probably been even better, though I had at least an inch all around, so air flow should have been plenty.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY