Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 pork buts on large

Options
eggenometry
eggenometry Posts: 18
I am getting ready to do 3 6-7 lb pork buts on a large egg. I have never done pork without the platesetter, but from reading some of the post it seems like some are doing so in order to fit more meat on the grill. Any suggestions? I am pretty sure I could jam them in there, but I don't want them to touch in the middle which will lead to uneven cooking. 

Comments

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I have done 3 butts on my large with no issues. I did have a 8,9 and 10 pounder. I put the 8 and 9 on the grid and put the 10 pounder on a raised grid.

I have also done 3 smaller ones and just leaned them up on each other in a triangle shape and just adjusted them as they shrunk.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

Don't do direct, if that's what you mean by taking out the platesetter.  If you can't squeeze them on one level, get a second grid and raise it above the regular grid for more cooking area.  Fire bricks or even beer cans are good for raising grids.  Carriage bolts and washers work well too. 
    NOLA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2014
    Options
    You won't have any problem with 3 6-7 lbers.  You can just use a standard set up- perhaps put them on sideways. 

Recent thread with three 9.5 lbers:

Note the pic 3/4 of the way down. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,397
    Options
    As above, go indirect and make sure you check the volume of collected drippings (elevate the pan off the platesetter) well into your cook.  You can collect quite a bit.  Check each one as you close in on the finish-line as they will likely get there at different times.  Bone pulls clean is the best indicator of "done".  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • eggenometry
    Options
    thanks, I think I will attempt to stand them up on end and then keep them separated with skewers (a great idea in the thread that smokeypitt posted). 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I did 4 that size a couple weeks back..

I had the AR + spider going: 
    top: 2 butts
    bottom: 2 butts
    spider: round pizza stone+ drip pan.

I swapped the butts halfway through.  Since I had this much meat going at once, I did this L&S instead of my regular turbo.  I have a pic on my phone I'll try and post..

I fed 40 folks, they ate 2.5 butts in one sitting.. had plenty of leftovers for the next couple nights.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • eggenometry
    Options
    Nice! yea I'm cooking for about 30. Last time I did 2 8lbrs for the same group and they at avery last bit. So I am looking to have a bit more for seconds and leftovers this time. 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    34 kids! Most the kids and parents ate pulled pork, some had other plans. I ended up feeding 40 folks on 2.5 butts, about $30... can't beat that math.

imageimageimage
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    I was able to get five 6-9 pound butts on my large with an AR.  Well, full disclosure I had to start with four in the large, and one small trimmed down one on the mini.  Once they shrunk a bit I was able to get the five in large.  3 on one grid, two on a raised grid.  I also had to change out the drip pan when I moved the small butt into the large, as it was full of drippings.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW