Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rust on the band of my 2006 BGE and band seems higher on the top back - do I need to replace?

Options
Hi!

Long-time lurker, new member. I just bought a new (to me) large 2006 BGE upgrading from a small that we've loved for the last year. Its previous owner left it sitting for a long time and there was some rust on the band when I got it. It has cleaned up beautifully overall (pardon the pictures, that was prior to a new nomex gasket and overall cleanup), but there are two condition issues I have:

1) There is definitely rust on one 2 inch section of the band (picture 1). It still seems totally sturdy, but I was hoping the community could weigh in on whether it looks like it is safe to use. If it is just a cosmetic thing, I've protected it from further deterioration and am not too worried about htat.

2) I noticed something strange while cleaning the egg. The upper band seems to be farther away from the ceramic lip on the top in the back than in the front or on the bottom (picture 2). Open, you can't tell any difference from the inside. Is this normal?

3) Final question! I am hoping to replace two rusty nuts and one rusty cap nut on the band. Can I remove them without making the total band fall off? Or do I need to have someone holding the egg/band before I remove them for replacement?

Thanks! And thanks for all the great recipes and comments, we have benefited from them a great deal.

Comments