Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Adjustable Rig: Vertical chicken?

Options
I just got a new AR yesterday with the extender. I did a spatchcock chicken last night, but the wife wants a beer can chicken tonight. What leven on the AR would be best to get the skin crispy, but not burned? Direct or indirect?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Indirect at the felt level. Drip pan, 350-400 degrees. Cooking a vertical chicken direct is not easy.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    for direct go as high as you can with the vertical roaster.  probably middle rig notches with a grid under it. 

if you want to go indirect and have the oval stone, can try oval stone on the lower notches of the rig and oval grid on the middle notches. then set the vertical roaster on the grid with a section of the bird hanging over the flat side of the oval stone. rotate the bird out over the stone as needed during the cook.   quasi direct and indirect cook for the bird. 

most folks find spatchcock birds the best in ceramic cookers.  I do 'em on the rig extender, high in the dome.  

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I like both spatchcock and vertical, and do both quite often. but, in my experience, wild it takes a little longer to cook, I've had better and more consistent results with the vertical roaster, both in juiciness and in skin texture. Tonight was one of the best chickens I've ever cooked. I couldn't use the top of the adjustable rig, and had to lower the grate one level so the birds were rubbing the dome. But with the skin being right up next to the dome surface and turning the birds every 20 minutes or so, they turned out great.
    And to those that have suggested the Trader Joes coffee and garlic rub, thank you. Grabbed some today and it was delicious. honestly, one of the better rubs I've ever used, and that's including all of Dizzy Pig's rubs. Very surprising at $2 per canister.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590