Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dimensions of a Large BGE

Options
jtcBoynton
jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
I am trying to figure out the dimensions of a large BGE.  I was looking at purchasing a PSWoo2 from the Ceramic Grill Store. They indicate that the distance from the top of the fire ring to the felt rim on the base should be approximately 4-1/4". I measured my egg and it was only 3-1/4".  Where did I lose 1"?

You can see in the photo that with a platesetter in place, the cooking grid is at the felt line.  Looking at photos on the forum, it seems that others have the grid below the felt line when set up with the platesetter. The fire ring is 4-1/2" tall. The fire box is 9-1/4" tall. Egg is 28" tall from inside bottom to top. I estimate the bottom thickness at about 1", making total height about 29".  This is an older egg - don't know how old.  Did BGE change the dimensions or is my firebox or firering non-standard?

Southeast Florida - LBGE
In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2014
    Options
    2 things: First and most important, call and talk to Tom. Second and most important, call and talk with Tom. Phone: 940.387.0100
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    I have talked to Tom at CGS. They can make a custom Woo with smaller handles - cutting them down to 1/2". This should fit, but the smaller handles would make it less easy to get a hold of.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Is there a chance your fire ring is not right?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    @jtcBoynton, Does your fire ring have three grooves that the legs fit in?
    Los Angeles, CA
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    The fire ring is the older style with five indentations. It is 4-1/2" tall. How tall are the newer fire rings with the three groves?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE