Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I burned the probe wire

Options
How do you protect the wire from  the probe? I was cooking a chicken and opened the dome to add some veggies the last 20 min and flames attacked. If you wrap the wire with foil will this protect it for a short while
Clearwater Fl
LGE

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I only use probes for indirect cooks and run the probe wires over the plate setter legs.

For direct cooks I use my Thermapen to check food temp.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've never used a probe on a higher temp cook but foil would give a minimal amount of protection.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No need on chicken, ribs, etc. Have several sets and none used in several years for anything. I do have two Thermapens that are used outside and inside all the time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.