Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Unpredictable Butt

Options

I doubt that anyone has ever had the experience of planning a cook so it would be ready at a given time, and have it run way beyond.  It was with that in mind that I began yesterday's butt cook around 1 in the afternoon.  I've really liked Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk, so I first put a light application on the butt, then a thin coat of French's yellow mustard, and then Bad Byrons Butt Rub and pressed in lightly.  Looking good, the medium egg, as always, came right up to temp (350).  A chunk of each of cherry, peach, and oak, and by 1:45 the smoke looked and smelled perfect.  On went the butt.  It weighed in at 5 3/4 lb.  According to my calculations, at 45 minutes per pound (4 hours 20 minutes), I'd have lotsa room for error, as dinner was planned for 7:15.  Everything went exactly according to plan right up until 170 degrees, when it stalled.  I kept the dome temp at 350, and there I was done, at 8:00.  Pulled and plated at 8:15.  Heck, only an hour late...  That was good for 2 Moscow Mules that set the tone for a fantastic meal.  Loved the heat of the Firewalk.  The bark was fantastic, and the meat was very moist and yummy.  Turbo butts rule, even if they take way longer than planned.  Some day I will learn...  Maybe.  In the pulled photo, notice my faithful companion's paws...

imageimage
Santa Paula, CA

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Looks good, did you "accidentally" drop a little morsel for the pup. I once carved a brisket on the tailgate of my neighbors truck at 915pm after we had a couple bottles of wine, cheese and a box of crackers after I thought I had a good idea of how long it would take to cook. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks great!!! No never had a cook go past a predetermined time =)) Never. ;-)
    It happens. I had a 8#-10# Boston Butt I guesstimated for 12 hrs @235℉ and it went almost 18 hrs even with me bumping to 300℉ and 350℉ toward the end (I refused to wrap it). Fortunately my honored guests had beverages and activities to keep them busy so c'est la vie. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,536
    Options
    Anyone who has never had that extended duration low&slow cook happen to them is not exactly confessing to reality...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • golfandgrill
    golfandgrill Posts: 198
    Options
    What do you fly?
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    @golfandgrill - I have a Cessna 185 that is perfect for some of the interesting flying I do to back country strips.  I also fly several other airplanes in different capacities.  I'm the test pilot at the company where I'm employed.  I sort of inherited a Carbon Cub, and that is way too much fun to be legal.  On my weekend job, I fly a Britten Norman Islander, taking folks out to the Channel Islands.  I flew commercially in Alaska for 7 years, flying some very cool equipment onto the glaciers in the Alaska Range.  I loves me some flying!!!  Are you a pilot?
    Santa Paula, CA
  • golfandgrill
    golfandgrill Posts: 198
    Options
    @tksmoke holy cow that is some awesome flying! I am a pilot as well, however, no where near that experience! I have my CFI and work for a flight school.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • tksmoke
    Options

Most excellent on the CFI - it's so good to have the dollar equation working in your favor.  Of course most of flying works in the opposite direction.  I received my CFI back in 1974.  I've had lots of really incredible students, and many, many fun hours along the way.  Of course flying has changed pretty dramatically from when I first started, but I'm so thankful I took that first plunge.  Back when I started, my first flight lesson was $5.00 (including the airplane).  It broke my heart when the instructor told me that was only for the first lesson - after that it went way up to $10 an hour.  At the time, I had no idea how I could ever afford that.  Pretty much when you learn to fly, you take the oath of poverty. 

Lots in common with the Eggdiction...

Santa Paula, CA
  • tksmoke
    Options
    @Brisket_Fanatic - 9:15 is early compared to some of my gross miscalculations.  The GFU generally goes to bed in a huff without dinner, and me and Wiley (the pup) enjoy the evening with some of whatever is first to attract my attention.  Fortunately she (the GFU) is quick to forgive my transgressions, understanding that it is the nature of the beast.
    Santa Paula, CA