Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Don't look...it didn't happen

Options
Cooked 3 Prime NY strip steaks for the family last night using the Large BGE. 
HEB has it for cheap I think around $6.97/lb - gotta love Texas :)

Reverse sear method raised direct with 260 as grate temp then continued below with searing 600 temp using CI grate and spider below.
No pics because I forgot to take pics before family swarmed over it and finished it but it was great.

Oh almost forgot used Raising the Steaks and Red Eye express from Dizzy Pig - it was pretty good but didn't get the kick I wanted. 
What favorite rub do you use for your steaks?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    S&P or Coffee Rub
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Only coffee rub. ..tremendous.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Do you have a Costco near you? I think their USDA prime beef is cheaper than HEB. They usually have NY strip, ribeye, brisket and another cut or two.

NY strips are my fav cut as well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    @caliking Yeah I do have Costco - live in Sugar Land so Costco is literally 2 min from my house. 

Really? Maybe it just happened to be that this weekend, it wasn't cheaper because I already went there. How much are you looking at and which costco do you go to?

Will try the coffee rubs - @Mickey and @henapple. The coffee rub - is it too strong for small kids though?

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

@caliking Yeah I do have Costco - live in Sugar Land so Costco is literally 2 min from my house. 

Really? Maybe it just happened to be that this weekend, it wasn't cheaper because I already went there. How much are you looking at and which costco do you go to?

Will try the coffee rubs - @Mickey and @henapple. The coffee rub - is it too strong for small kids though?
    My Granddaughters started at 10 and 7 and still don't want my steaks without it 3 years later ( same for wife).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bbqlearner
    Options
    Cool thanks for sharing @Mickey.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @bbqlearner - the Sugarland Costco stocks slightly different inventory than the one on Richmond (near the Galleria). Prime briskets were $2.60/lb in March ($3.70/lb in June!) at the Richmond store, but the Sugarland didn't stock them the last time I checked.

I usually go to that one to pick up prime beef and most of my seafood. They have good scallops, lobster tails, halibut, salmon, lamb (racks and boneless leg), apart from the prime beef.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I prefer dry aged steaks and for that reason I only use kosher salt so as to let the taste of the meat shine instead of masking it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Thanks @caliking. Good to know.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Coffee rub isn't hot at all.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    A butcher shop in town was trying to charge me 15.99lb for prime NY strip the other day.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    The coffee rub is not strong at all and you can't taste the coffee after it's cooked.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I like Montreal Steak It has alot of pepper Wife bought a big jar one day been using it so havent tried to much else
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM