Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling the computer gurus... Where did my programs go??

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731

Running Win7. Chrome started acting weird last week so I uninstalled it a few days ago. Also uninstalled  a few other programs that I never used.

Yesterday I noticed that shortcuts to some programs did not work - popup says that the shortcut doesn't link to the specified program. My Canon software for my camera (EOS Utility, Digital Photo Professional, etc) doesn't work now, and neither does the software for my Canon multifunction printer. The icons have been replaced by some kind of generic Windows icon in the start menu. I can't repair the links from the control panel, and I haven't been able to do a system restore to an earlier restore point - it doesn't complete because of antivirus software running, but Avast got lost and uninstalled mysteriously as well.

Any tips? I could reinstall the Canon software, but was wondering if anyone could help with this mystery.

Thanks!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is where I chunked it all two years ago. Now iPhone, iPad & 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display. This Apple stuff is so much less headaches. Now go do the right thing buddy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Mickey - I did the same thing about 4 years ago.  It means I actually have to buy my own computers now (work won't buy macs) but it's worth it.

@Caliking - Check the path by clicking on the properties of the icon.  Then open up explorer and browse to that location.  Sounds like you have a systematic problem with your environment. Maybe you dragged (moved) your home directory somewhere else.
    Options
    +1 to nola. Something about the shortcut is wrong. This could be because the program isn't in the same location or that it doesn't exist at all. Try running a search for the program. If it shows up, create a new shortcut or edit your crrent one.
  • wmcguire93
    wmcguire93 Posts: 53
    Options
    +1 buy a Mac!!!!

Worth every penny.  I have macbook pro 2009 model and have never had issues.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• caliking
    Options

@Caliking - Check the path by clicking on the properties of the icon.  Then open up explorer and browse to that location.  Sounds like you have a systematic problem with your environment. Maybe you dragged (moved) your home directory somewhere else.

Tried that. Checked the folder where the target was supposed to be and the exe files there have the same generic icon there instead of the Canon icon for that file. Oh well. Guess I will just reinstall the Canon stuff.

For better or for worse, I'm a PC guy (for the here and now at least).

Thanks for the help. This forum is where I usually start when I need to solve life's problems! :)

• nolaegghead
    Options
    You probably have a permissions problem.  I used to be real savvy with windows back when I was the IT manager at out local lab and had to fix the damn things.  That was over 10 years ago.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    If you can't figure it out, lemme know. I can do a Logmein Session and check it out.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    I would see if you have any malicious looking applications installed (e.g. toolbars) and remove them. And I'm going to be "that" guy and ask, did you reboot?
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ I make the "MOVE" joke quite often at work. :)
    Steve
  • caliking
    Options
    cazzy said:
    If you can't figure it out, lemme know. I can do a Logmein Session and check it out.

Reinstalled the Canon software and things seem to be working fine - pics are downloading automatically to the right folders when I connect my 70D. Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it if things go squirrelly again.

I would see if you have any malicious looking applications installed (e.g. toolbars) and remove them. And I'm going to be "that" guy and ask, did you reboot?
    Yep. Multiple times. There was a Google toolbar that was one of the things I uninstalled. Is that what could have screwed things up?

• stevethegreat
    Options
    I can't say definitely yes or no. I can say I have seen weirdness and malware attached to toolbars before. I always uninstall all of them and weatherbug (hate that) when I see it.
    Steve
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You didn't pay a fine, I hope... ;)

@caliking‌ glad its working now

@nolaegghead‌ I like the scams that cold call people and tell them that their computers are infected and try to charge them to "fix" it. Spoiler: they suck at troubleshooting linux B-)
    Steve
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    An essential part of anyone's toolbox should be Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  Get it from Cnet - free!!  It will find and rid your computer of malware and other threats - There is nothing to running it.  That would be my very first step in your situation.  The next one would be to run chkdsk to see if your hard drive became corrupt.  Good luck!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I've used Malwarebytes utility many times. It is very good.
    Options
    @cazzy - that's a classic.
    +1 for malware bytes

@cazzy I actually haven't seen that before but I was instantly transported back to my halo days. Pretty funny but hard to watch on my phone. Also the dude looses some linux cred for running fedora as a VM on Mac.
    Steve
  • caliking
    Options
    caz - freakin hilarious!