Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CARNE ASADA!!! Father's Day cook...

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum

I had a great Father's Day weekend on boats and at pools.  The only downside... I wasn't home long enough for a slow cook on the egg!  Still, after a nice afternoon at a friend's house on Sunday I started to think about what I was going to grill when I got home...  chicken thighs?  (wife said "nope"), oysters? (out of season so harder to find), t-bones (plan B)...CARNE ASADA!  

Yup, Carne Asada it was.  If you marinate and cook it right, a flank steak can give you the satisfaction of slow cooked beef with all the flavor and tenderness.

I tried a new recipe which had you salt the flank and then rub with a chimmichurri marinade which was basically garlic, scallion, cilantro, lime, cumin, and oil.  Let the meat sit for 30 minutes in the fridge (good time to light the egg and get it dialed in), scrape off most of the marinade, dust with pepper and sugar, and grill.   I made extra of the marinade because I like to serve it on the grilled meat.

We had some of it on grilled tortillas, but I ate most of it just by itself.  It was delicious!

It was my first time cooking Carne Asada on the egg, and with the flames on the lump when you opened the grill it really had an authentic Churrasco feel, smell and flavor.  I'll definitely do this again!

Just on.

Ready to come off....sooo flavorful!

Sorry...did not get any sliced pictures.  Everybody was hungry, the meat smelled great, and I only remembered to snap one after my 4th serving.  :)
The meat was medium to medium-well but if you have had a good carne asda, it doesn't really matter.  It wasn't tough and there was so much flavor.  All of the fat had rendered making it easy to pull apart and enjoy.  Definitely the best flank steak I've ever cooked and up there with the best I've had out!

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Looks great
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • onelikearock
    onelikearock Posts: 115
    Options
    One of my favorite meals. Great job
    Chesapeake, VA
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    That really looks great. Bet it tasted great too!

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • divecj5
    divecj5 Posts: 18
    Options
    Looks fantastic.  Like you, I find flank steak to be a pretty versatile cut of meat.  One of my favorites is to marinate it overnight in some premium teriyaki marinade, grill up and serve with garlic mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus sprinkled with parmesan.

What temp and how long each side did you cook those?
    Charleston, SC // LBGE
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Excellent!! Sure it tasted like heaven!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,534
    Options
    Looks killer!
    canuckland
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I do carne asada 2-3 a month, it's one of my go to cooks.

Looks like you nailed it.
  • geoff7877
    geoff7877 Posts: 35
    Options
    That looks amazing. I love flank steak. Last one I cooked was marinated in extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, minced garlic and fresh rosemary for about 8 hours then seared to medium rare in about 7 minutes. Pull apart tender.
    Petaluma, CA
  • KiterTodd
    edited June 2014
    Options
    divecj5 said:
    Looks fantastic.  Like you, I find flank steak to be a pretty versatile cut of meat.  One of my favorites is to marinate it overnight in some premium teriyaki marinade, grill up and serve with garlic mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus sprinkled with parmesan.

What temp and how long each side did you cook those?
    I agree it is versatile, but I have messed it up in the past more than I've made it right.  (tough)  This time it was great.

The dome temp was around 450.   I took the flank and filet'd it down the center so it is thinner than it comes packaged.  I did <5 minutes on each side, and then a little more flipping and rotating in short durations to get an even charring all around.  Always grilled with the top closed.

Yeah, I was surprised how good it was.

I think if I make it again for a crowd I'll do 2 exactly like this, and then I'll do 2 more with higher heat and shorter durations.  See if it is still tender if I get it charred outside but medium-rare inside.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    It was so good, I did it again...

This time I kept one the same, and  I additionally seasoned the other one with Swamp Venom before grilling!  It was good, the flavor of the heat and spice came through nicely...but I think I like the Carne Asada better with just the marinade on it.  While spicy, the Swamp Venom covered up the good taste of tender flank.

LBGE/Maryland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Home run!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks great.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • uheep
    uheep Posts: 64
    Options
    That looks delicious. Thanks for that post!
    North Georgia ~ Large BGE~Charbroil Outdoor Fryer~Big Chief Smoker~All Done
    With A Touch Of Classic Rock
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    looks great!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Looks amazing! I love flank steak, but I have a hard time buying it anymore because now that people have figured out what it is, a formally cheaper cut of meat is now getting higher end prices. After seeing your pics, I might have to break down and pony up the benjamins. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    Looks amazing! I love flank steak, but I have a hard time buying it anymore because now that people have figured out what it is, a formally cheaper cut of meat is now getting higher end prices. After seeing your pics, I might have to break down and pony up the benjamins. :)
    Yeah PNWFoodie...it does seem like an unfairly expense cut of meat for such a tough piece.  Obviously we have figured out ways of cooking it.   If I recall, I think that piece cost me $18.   I sliced it in two to give me two thin pieces instead of one thick one.  But still..while I enjoyed it and will buy it again, I don't think the meat is worth that price.
    LBGE/Maryland