Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Massive corn bread failure... and redemption!

Options
I've had my Lodge DO for about a month now and I've been obsessed with cobblers ever since. Got pretty comfortable churning them out, and thought I'd step out of my comfort zone and try corn bread on Thursday. Well, my first attempt was a massive failure! Dry, rubbery crust, with the texture of cake. Also wasn't nearly sweet enough (I know, I know... real southern cornbread is not supposed to be sweet, but trust me, this one had no sweetness at all). Frustrated, I thought I'd try to redeem myself today. Followed this recipe for the most part, but added a couple more tablespoons of honey and lined the DO with bacon fat. I also left the batter lumpy instead of overmixing (like I did the first time). 

Took about 25 minutes before the toothpick came out cleanly - couldn't wait to try and when I did... redemption! The cornbread was awesome and the crust was perfect. Got my confidence back now. 

The first pic is the fail - hard to tell how bad it was by looking at it, but it was terrible. The next two pics are today's redemption.

Ajax, ON Canada
(XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)

Comments

• DTEgg
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    Options
    How hot did you run it, 400 like the recipe?   And where did you set the DO?  I love good cornbread...
    LBGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Redemption is fabulous! What ended up being your winning cobbler recipe? I'm yet to try that.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    DTEgg said:
    How hot did you run it, 400 like the recipe?   And where did you set the DO?  I love good cornbread...
    Yes, ran it right at 400 raised indirect for the entire cook, with the DO on the cooking grate. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    caliking said:
    Redemption is fabulous! What ended up being your winning cobbler recipe? I'm yet to try that.
    Recipe I used is posted in this thread. I followed it pretty closely, but added blueberries as well. I've since done a few more cobblers and found that adding dark rum to the fruit mixture works really well. 

Ajax, ON Canada