Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FIREWISE ARTICLE for everyone

Options

Had trouble posting before. Hope you can open this article on the nakedwhiz site.

Good reading

www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm

Comments

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    @Serial Griller Thanks,that is probably the most important post I have read.I like nests for my Eggs but for table guys this is huge. #:-S
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    BGE no longer ships their eggs with the little green feet, and now recommends their metal table nest which creates a much bigger air space under your egg. They also stress that your egg should not rest in the access hole (hang suspended by the table top), as they state the consistent pressure  can weaken your egg and eventually possible cut it in half. (source of recommendations was Duane in the service dept. / home office. I personally have a metal table but have been spreading this news to all my friends.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2014
    Options
    ...your egg should not rest in the access hole (hang suspended by the table top), as they state the consistent pressure  can weaken your egg and eventually possible cut it in half.  
    Umm, yeah. Like the suspension style nest they used to sell?  :)  Dunno if lowercasebill's mini is the only one this happened to, but it is the reason the mini has a new nest design.image

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    That research is worth a read. If nothing else, I hope it will encourage folks to check their table supports frequently.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I have been wanting a table for my egg but i really think i'll just stick with my nest and find a nice table to sit next to my egg

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    My XL currently sits on a paver. I'll be taking my egg out of the table and checking the. Decking underneath the paver. My paver is currently cracked. I was thinking of buying a table nest anyway.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    I have also come to believe, from what I have heard and read, that sitting your egg on a solid ceramic base like a tile , paver, or fire brick is not a good idea, although that application is quite popular. My understanding is that the flush interface of the bottom of the egg and a flat base will reduce your eggs ability to drop heat out the bottom and increase the likelihood of a case or fire box crack from over heating. As a result, I think it is better to always provide sufficient airspace beneath your egg. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    The entire nakedwhiz site should be required reading. I wish I had found it when I first started out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I 1st read this article the day I had my LBGE delivered. I wanted a table that would be first & foremost safe, attractive, functional and attractive. And although I like wooden tables because they hold a very near & dear sense of craftsmanship and beauty. I opted to go with SS which I find to fit all my listed table needs and desires. This is an excellent written piece that should be required reading for anybody that is going to "do it themself". A design problem could cost a lot more than a table burning up. Nice discussion.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Household tile is a definite no-no.  Concrete pavers or fire bricks work great.  However I do like having an extra inch to two inches around the diameter of the Egg than what is required. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer