Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the grid - metal brush issues - wood grid cleaner?

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
Watching the Philly news from the suburbs tonight. Just had a story of a woman who needed surgery to remove a piece of metal from a grill brush from her stomach after eating grilled chicken. I've seen this issue posted here before. They recommended a wooden grid cleaner. http://bbq.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=bbq&cdn=food&tm=61&f=10&su=p284.13.342.ip_&tt=3&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http://www.thegreatscrape.com/ Any one wit experience wit this?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Let's see...how can that be answered with political correctness in mind...most of us would recognize a wire bristle as we chewed and stop and investigate before swallowing...OTOH they do sell cow magnets that are easily shoved down a calf's throat which attracts ferrous metals over their lifetimes. Maybe a smaller such magnet needs to be offered for us humans, huh? Of course a magnet wouldn't attract brass, but just the same chewing vs. pigging out might also stop those FEW reported cases! If not then rest assured that some a-hole in Washington will soon introduce a bill against grilling brushe etc etc etc...Just sayin...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Or the type that Lawn Ranger makes. I don't have a pic, but maybe someone will post one. Its a grid lifter and scraper all in one. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I use a grill brush that looks like a scrubber pad. if a wire came loose it would be about 12 inches long. Kinda hard to eat one of them.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm with RRP here.   I use a wire brush and I'm well aware it can pierce something internally if consumed.  So I beat a few times on the gill to knock any wire pieces off.  Then I give it a quick visual inspection and don't worry about it.  Stairs can be hazardous, doesn't mean we need to replace them all with ramps.
    Options
    Just reporting the news here, not agreeing with it. I've used a metal grill brush for 40 years (not the same one - that could be the problem). No plans to change, although the wood cleaner does look interesting.
    Options
    @Tjcoley - don't get me wrong, I'm with ya - I think bringing up the risk of hazard is a good way to mitigate the problem.  I'd guess most people don't even think about it.   This is good information.
    Options
    And since I'm in Philly (or close by), please note in the OP the use of 'wit' per official cheesteak ordering vernacular.
    Options
    hahah
    Options
    caliking said:
    Or the type that Lawn Ranger makes. I don't have a pic, but maybe someone will post one. Its a grid lifter and scraper all in one. 

Some of LawnRangers work. The second & third is GridLifters. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• golfandgrill
    golfandgrill Posts: 198
    Options
    I have one of these. Bought it at a local art fest. Probably a little spendy but works well and looks really nice.

http://scrapesation.com/index2.html
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • Cremon
    Cremon Posts: 21
    Options

I have one of these. Bought it at a local art fest. Probably a little spendy but works well and looks really nice. http://scrapesation.com/index2.html
    Looks interesting.  I might have to try it.  Though the whole time I watched his video I had the urge to relieve my bladder.
    Marietta, GA

Big Green Egg XL, 
    Cheap char grill for quick grilling
    110,000 BTU outdoor propane burner with an 18" Chinese wok.