Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help.....Brisket/Rib cook......

Options
Planning to cook a small whole brisket (7-8 lbs after trim), 3 racks of spares, and some pig shots. I plan to put brisket on early tomorrow morning and ribs around noon. Hoping to be done by 6-7. May cook brisket at 275 till lunch then lower to 250 for afternoon because I know these brisket can stall. Planning to use a oak/hickory chip mixture with cherry chunks. I have an XL with a weber grid for second tier. I forget which one it is - can pork not drip on beef or beef not on pork? Also just don't know what I can fit. Think I should do double tier with ribs laying flat and brisket on other rack or 1 tier with ribs on rib rack. Do ribs turn out the same on rack? I've never used rack. Always cook flat. So in a nutshell give me your opinions. Is wood combo ok? How would you place on grid? Can pork or beef drip on each other? Temps ok? Any opinions appreciated!! Thanks!!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I let beef drip on pork. Pork drippings on beef, not so much.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Thanks! Everything else sound ok?

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Considering your timing, I would get set up with 2 tiers and have the brisket on the top grid as I would rather have drippings from meat that is almost done dropping on meat that will cook for awhile than vice-versa.

Considering you're used to cooking ribs flat, I would stick with doing that than add the rack to the mix. You shouldn't need the extra space the rack would give as you can put the pig shots on later after the brisket is removed.

Your wood combo is fine. Your temps are fine, particularly if that's what you're used to.

Are you serving all of this around 6-7? If so, I would try to time it so the brisket comes off around 3-4 PM so you don't need to FTC a brisket for 6-7 hours.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA