Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holiday Weekend Turbo Butt

Options
xiphoid007
xiphoid007 Posts: 536
Going to picnic with the fam at the 'rents. I'm supplying the pulled pork. It's smoking right now. Hope to pull it at temp and FTC on the way there, pull once dinnertime.

Going Turbo 350 indirect with water pan. 9lb butt with fat down. Why down? I have no idea, just what I did. Bad Byron's butt rub, cause I like it on pork, although I welcome other rub suggestions of what others enjoy. Cherry wood smoke.

Ordered some Ozark oak online with free shipping. Very happy with so far. Its my second cook with it, and it ignites much quicker, VOCs burn off quicker, and just seems to have a better aroma.

Also breaking in my new HiQue grate. Wow! What a difference! Gets to temp way faster and so much more stable. I really haven't had to adjust at all. This grate is making me wan to attempt a low and slow.

Here's the precook pic of my butt! Hopefully I can show yinz (translation: you all, for those of you not from Pittsburgh) my butt later!

Happy Memorial Day to all! Thanks to all those brave servicemen and women who fought for my freedom, while not even knowing me, and never asking for anything in return. Let's all remember that we have the freedoms to grill out, enjoy family and friends, and post freely on this forum because of these brave souls!

Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE

Comments

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Excellent - did the same last night.  Soooooo good.  Enjoy!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You said water pan. Did it contain water?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• xiphoid007
    Options
    The waterpan did have water. With turbo I've had some problems with the bottom of the hunk 'o beast burning. I've found the water pan eliminates this. Also regulates the temp better for me.

Every time it runs out my temp shoots up 20deg though. I just need to check more often to keep filled.

Butt took 6.5 hrs. Probed like buttah'. Could get Cooke picks, but I'll take some before pulling. Traveling now. . .
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Never had that happen.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I am straight up turbo style on butts or ribs but never use water in the drip pan Can't wait to see pics of the final outcome.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • xiphoid007
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Half pulled and fully pulled. Nice smoke ring, really nice bark. Pork butt has to be the best combo of tasty and easy I know!

imageimage
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I'd say you nailed it!!! How was the bark on the bottom side??

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Perfect bark on the bottom. Thicker smoke ring on the bottom too.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE