Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke pouring out bottom vent after shut down

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
Haven't seen this one before today.  Cooked up a sausage pizza (PS legs up, grid, then pizza on CI pan at 500 degrees)  Egg was stable at 500 degrees for 25 minutes before putting on the pizza - no smoke. It was in a CI pan, with no drippings. After taking the pizza off, I shut down the egg by closing the bottom vent and putting the ceramic top on.  Within seconds, smoke started pouring out the bottom vent, and continued for about 15 minutes.  Never had that happen before.

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    That is freaky deeky.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Don't know about the smoke but nice looking pie!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Does your cap seal tightly on top of the egg? Like super tight ?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Tjcoley
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Does your cap seal tightly on top of the egg? Like super tight ?

No gasket on the cap so not super tight, but in over 2 years og cooking never had it happen before.
    Botch Posts: 15,489
    Options
    I've noticed that the bottom door, and the bottom screen, can sometimes "switch places", one on the inside and one on the outside.  I don't know what the "proper" configuration is, but it might be something to look at now, and the next time you use your Egg (mine have reversed places many times, but I've never seen smoke coming out like you experienced either).   :-S

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Guessing lump needs to be stirred B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    Options
    I had mine do something similar the other day. I think it was because of grease that had dripped into the bottom of the egg from me doing burgers a bunch the weeks before. It only happen when I did a pizza. I had smoke coming from the bottom vent and actually smoke rolling off the bottom of the egg. I never found a crack of anything. I could only assume it was because of the grease that had settled in the bottom of the egg. 

I guess what I'm getting at is. If you have done any greasy cooks in the recently this maybe the case.

Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Cleaned out the Egg prior to the cook, because last cook had wood for smoke and did not want smokey pizza. Used the larger pieces of left over lump, and mostly new lump. Stable at 500 for almost half hour with no smoke before cooking the pizza.
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    Options
    Here is a link the the problem I had. Mine only started smoking after probably an half hour to 45 min of 650. The strange thing is there was black something seeping threw the bottom of the egg but it looked clean on the inside...

Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone