Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low temps

Options
My egg always wants to hang around 275/300, even with the vents wide open. I took it all apart and cleaned out the holes to make sure it wasn't from lack of air. The only thing I can think of is it's the lump I'm using. As it's cooking, it must be plugging the holes? I notice it has quite a few small pieces in the bag. Any other thoughts on what the problem might be? I had it good and roaring initially. As soon as I close the lid and adjusted the vents to about half open, it dropped down to just below 300. Now with the vents wide open it still won't get real hot. This is proving very frustrating when I'm trying to spatchcock chicken and plan to throw on some steaks as soon as the chicks are done.  :-?
ShannyShooShoo 
Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders

Comments

• dagriller
    dagriller Posts: 74
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I had same issue, cleaned out ash, bought a new firebox grate (more like wire mesh from Rockwood owner on eBay), and started using Rockwood, now I have trouble with going low and slow. B-)
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Take the daisy wheel off. Don't use it on any cooks above 350*, and between 250*-350* its optional based on properties of your egg and lump. Also, keep your bottom vent open until your temp is within 50* of target and then start closing it down.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What DMW said.  Also, try putting some large pieces of lump on the bottom.  You are lighting the top, right?  Lighting from the bottom will give you horrible smoke and as the lump burns, the weight of the lump on top will smush the ash into the fire grate. 
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I light at the bottom but this whole thing runs on air-flow.  Control the air flow in or out and control the temperature and you can get well into the low 200's.  Going low with the temp-better to throttle the inlet. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Do you have something other than a plate setter? I had my rib stone setting on the fire ring and it blocks the air flow. After lifting the rib stone, all was good.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig