Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Philly Roast Pork ala Tony Luke's

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
I adapted this recipe for the pork:

http://lisciosbakery.com/recipes/featured-recipe-of-the-week-tony-lukes-italian-roast-pork-sandwich/

Started with a 4 pound boneless shoulder  Removed the netting, and rubbed with a mix of chopped fresh Rosemary, Parsley, Garlic, S/P, EVOO.

It was in two pieces.  I tried to get it back in the netting, but it was like trying to get toothpaste back into the tube, so I tied it with some string.

Egg set up indirect at 325, with a chunk of Apple wood and a hand full of Hickory chips (It's what I had).  Into the DO, uncovered for an hour to get some smoke, then covered for another 3 hours.

IT went to 195, and I let it rest in the DO for about 45 minutes before slicing.

Served on some Philly steak rolls (Local Farmers Market brings them in every weekend), with Provolone cheese and spinach (family not a fan of Broccoli Rabe, and Tony Luke uses Spinach)

Made a great sandwich.  Will definitely add to the rotation menu.

Comments

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Love me some Tony Lukes. That looks awesome!! How about the Amorosa roll?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    Phantastic.  I'll be doing this next weekend for sure.
    Thanks for doing the research

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    I went to tony Luke's 2 weeks ago and it was great. I had the roast pork with provolone. Broccoli Rabe to bitter for me. I'm going to try this recipe. All of the Sammy's in Philly have amazing bread. Impossible to duplicate so you gotta buy it.
    Chester, MD
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    The roll is the key to a good cheese steak/pork sandwich.  One of the stands at the local Farmers Market brings them in from Philly every weekend - not sure what bakery they are from.  They are as good as any roll I've had in Philly.

westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I went to dinics after army navy game and had the roast pork sandwich.   It looks like they use whole hams  that are uncured
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Very nice.  I love broccoli rabe.  If you boil it for a few minutes then into ice water then dry it out really well, it handles a quick sauté in oil, garlic, shallots, and some red pepper flakes very well.

it is a better combo with the sandwich.

with all respect to Tony’s, it’s a distant 3rd to Dinic’s and John’s.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Was at Tony’s on Sunday. Had the pork, with rabe and paid the 50 cent upgrade for the sharp provolone. It is a good sandwich, and great after going to Disney on ice with the grandkids.
    Headed to the Philly convention center this weekend and may head across the street to the market and grab a Dinic’s sandwich for my breakfast. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    @Sea2Ski. I don’t think diNiCs opens until 1100.  Check it out.  You won’t be disappointed. They have a pulled pork and roast pork.   The roast pork gets all the glory, but the pulled pork is great too. Get one of each and report back. 
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Correction.   They open at 0900.  Enjoy!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Correction.   They open at 0900.  Enjoy!
    I was just going to say that - had a DiNic's roast pork for breakfast this past weekend.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    As promised. 

Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    Lucky!!!!!!

@Sea2Ski. How was it?   
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95