Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time pizza - pics and feedback

Options
After much anticipation I decided to give the egg pizza a try. I've made my own pizza before in oven but only cooked as hot as 500.

I ended up cooking at 650 about 10 minutes. I used parchment between stone and pizza for the first 5 then pulled it.

Only have pics of first pizza of 2. I thought it turned out great. Crisp bottom crust with even char and great texture and flavor.

However. The second pizza which ended up cooking at 550 or so for same time was edible but too burnt on bottom and bitterness overwhelmed the toppings.

Is this because the stone had been in longer at pizza 2? Any pointers for consistent cooking if multiples is welcome!

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have heard people mention wiping the pizza stone with a damp towel before putting the second pie on to keep from burning the bottom

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Options

Nice lookin' za.  That looks a heckuva lot better than my first ones.

Yea, the stone will be hotter for pie #2.  Really don't think a damp towel wipe will make any difference.  Another tip, and one I struggled with, is limiting toppings.  By starting with your supreme pie first, then going with a Margerita or single topping, you shorten the overall cook time with the hotter stone. 

And lastly, pizza screens are much better than parchment when doing multiple pies.  It also will help with evening your bake.  The screens can be removed mid cook to achieve your desired crust.

Cheat day here, our take on paleo-ish pizza(all organic).  ;)

Success when a 6 year old eats peppers, basil, tomatoes, and Ossau Iraty AOC cheese!

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• EggAg99
    EggAg99 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and awesome looking pie!!!
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    I use parchment and pizza screens.  Pizza screens work great if you make the pizza and put it on the grill right away.  However if you make a pizza on the screen and let it sit around a while, it can "sink" into the screen and will stick to the screen.  To avoid this I always use parchment, and remove it after a few minutes just like you did.  
    Once I remove the parchment, I keep an eye on the bottom of the pizza, and when it gets close to color I want I will slide 1-3 pizza screens underneath the pizza to lift it off the stone.  I think each screen lifts the pizza off the stone about 1/8", and the number of screens I use is determined by how much longer I think the top of the pizza needs to cook.