Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip pan veggies

Options
I plan to smoke a 7lb brisket on Saturday.  I recently created an upper grid using 6" stainless bolts and a 22" Weber grid for my LGE.  This means that I can put the drip pan at the height of the regular grid.

I want to put some potatoes, carrots, broccoli and maybe some sweet potatoes in the drip pan to cook.  If I smoke the brisket at 250-275, would I put my veggies in the drip pan at the start of the smoke or would I put them in later?  I plan to quarter the yellow potatoes and split the baby carrots in half.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Later, I would guesstimate around 2-3 hours for the veggies at those temps. I haven't done that with brisket, but sounds good. I do it with spatchcock chicken all the time and about 1 hour at 375-400 works well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would wait later as well. Just curious as to how much the brisket will be dripping that far along in the cook. You may have to add some stock to your pan to keep veggies from drying out.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.