Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally getting an egg. What should I cook first???

Options
Picking up XL with nest, plate setter on Thursday or Friday. I've seen so many great cooks on this site. What is a nice easy cook to start with. I'm anxious to try a lot of different things that I've seen on this site but I've never cooked with lump so I may have to ease into it before I get too crazy. I'm excited to get started, and hope for good results.

Comments

• lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    Boston Butt definitely the easiest.  Very tough to screw up.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    My first was a brisket. It was a nice steady low temp cook to "break in" the egg. And that was the end of the white interior. :-).
    Welcome...what ever you decide to make you'll surely enjoy it along with your guests. Enjoy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    I'd go basic....chicken breast, burger, maybe even spatchcock chicken to keep it simple as you get a hang on temp control.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    spatchcock chicken or babyback ribs. welcome and stock up on Budweiser
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I would just light the egg and play around with the temps for a while. Get used to how the air flow works, and let it hold a temp for 45-60 minutes (somewhere between 275°-325°). Smell the difference between good smoke and bad smoke.

Then I would do a spatchcock chicken (400° raised direct for around an hour) with Mickey's coffee rub.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• 77bronco
    77bronco Posts: 56
    Options
    Ktim said:

You mean you can drink while using one of these things. I think I waited way too long to make this purchase.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    77bronco said:

Ktim said:

You mean you can drink while using one of these things. I think I waited way too long to make this purchase.
    The drink is a necessity ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2014
    Options
    It's like playing pool or ping pong, you are actually better at it when you drink. 

You have an XL, so I vote for chicken and ribs for the first cook.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ktim
    Options
    Nice! Nothing better than sittin` next to the egg while it`s cooking and consuming mass amounts of beer. Have fun.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I have heard it won't start without alcohol :))
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Ktim
    Options
    jls that`s funny but I think it`s true. I have never tried without Bud.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    If you have experience using another rig, cook something you're comfortable with. If not, go basic. Chicken is a nice starter.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Don't skimp or waste the grill space. Make enough for a few friends. Split a bird or two.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Turbo Boston Butt, Baby, Back Ribs or Spatchcock chicken. All easy, all hard to screw up, all family favorites!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    The first thing I made was the beer can chicken on the BGE website.  It was very easy for a first cook so that I could focus more time on learning the grill (lighting, heating. configuration, etc.)

The second thing I cooked was a brisket.  :)  What was yummy.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    I say a spatchcock, go simple and build your confidence. Plus, it is hard to beat a spatch off the Egg!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • SpartanPride
    Options
    Spatchcock. Makes good use of the egg, it's something you wouldn't do on a gasser, and it's easy. Then roud two I'd fire up some ribs! The glory days of grilling are ahead of you my friend. Welcome.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Pork butt. Forgiving cook and you can play with the vents to learn temp control. Start it out low, bump the temps up, and then try to take the temps back down and see how long it takes.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Alcohol is a requirement.  Most of us are alcoholic's with a barbecuing problem.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Nothing. Throw in some lump and learn to control the fire before you put meat in it.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I did spare ribs for my first run but that was based largely on what I could find at the grocery store at 10pm on the night my egg showed up.  Just do something that's not terribly expensive and assume that you're going to destroy it, but I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised with the learning curve.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Drigler
    Drigler Posts: 25
    Options
    My first cook was a pork butt. The egg makes it so easy that I looked like a hero with my first cook. Welcome and enjoy! I prefer crown to go with my cooks.
    XL - Chandler, AZ
  • Catmandiesel
    Options
    My first was steaks. They turned out really good. However when it was all said and done I was like all that work and I only got to cook for 6 mins. So next I did a Boston Butt but I slept all night. So I guess the moral of the story is...It don't really matter. Cook what you like and enjoy the great food it produces. Welcome Aboard!
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

I agree with those who say it doesn't matter.  But having said that, just playing with controlling the temperature for an hour or so is also a worthwhile investment.  I did a spatchcock chicken tonight, and it is ever so easy, and only takes an hour at around 400 degrees.  Simple.  Don't chase the temperature - that will be your biggest first lesson.  Read the threads on controlling temps. To attain 400 in my XL, I let the fire get started for 5- 10 minutes with the lid open - I guess that depends what you are lighting with.  I use a Map Weed Burner, so it takes virtually no time to get the lump started.  Close the lid with the top vent completely open (don't put the DFMT on), and the bottom wide open.  When it gets to about 300 close the bottom vent to slightly more than a half inch open, put the top vent on and open it about a half inch at the widest point.  Let it come to a steady temp.  If it overshoots your target, close the bottom vent half way, and again wait.  It will take some time for the temp to come down.  Resist the temptation to close it all the way; the fire will go out.  If it stabilizes below your target, open the lower vent slightly.  Again wait for it.  The temperature will not change immediately.  You will learn exactly the position that gives you a given temperature with your lump on your egg.  Take a picture of the position once you find it.  If you want to do a low temp cook, the bottom vent will only be open about the thickness of a nickel (do they still have nickels??).  For a low temp cook, try very hard not to overshoot the temp.

Mostly enjoy the ride - it's great fun, very yummy, and before long you will be amazing your friends and family with your creations.

Santa Paula, CA
  • Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    Fire it up.  Pour a few fingers of your favorite and enjoy cooking whatever the mood strikes you.  Enjoy.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • 77bronco
    77bronco Posts: 56
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas and encouragement. I'm getting even more anxious to get going. Roughly how long does it take to do assembly on the egg and nest. I hope to pick it up tonight or early tomorrow. If it doesn't take too long to assemble it, I may get to cook on it tomorrow night.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I would guess 1 hour from start to finish. With XL it would be good to have a friend help out...especially if they bring beer. Part of the guess would be assembling the XL band.
    I believe it is mostly pre asembled now days. In the past it was a big bag of pieces and poor instructions.lol

Have fun...you will really like the XL.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I agree with @Fred19Flintstone, go with something you have some experience with. If you don't have any real experience keep it simple until you get comfortable using the egg and have a feel for how it works.

Whatever, you decide, let us know if you need help getting started or along the way. Many experienced eggers here that are eager to help out.

Welcome to the lifestyle!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    ++ On taking an afternoon to play with temp control. You have an XL so load it up, light it and play with the vents. Make up some burgers or prep a chicken while messing with temp control and then cook after you are comfortable with some settings. You won't run out of lump, I promise. There are some who use the top vent mainly and others who use the bottom more and yet still some use a combo. Play with them a bit and take some notes on where your vents were so you can get close next time then dial in. You'll be throwing those notes away soon so don't fuss over making them too neat! Enjoy!!!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • SenorHuevo
    Options
    Chicken.  It's cheap and it is really a revelation how much better it tastes when Egged.  I'm not sure I would suggest starting with a low and slow cook because that requires a some real skill with temperature management.  A big hunk of meat costs money and it takes a bunch of time.  The early rounds will be learning experiences.  Go for something faster and cheaper.  Then step it up.  So, I'm back to chicken:

Wings or drumsticks?  Put them in a ziplock with a bunch of Frank's Red Hot and a touch of canola.  Easy and delicious.

Thighs?  Anything is good -- especially a good jerk marinade.

But, from not even a week of Egging experience, I must give a big +1 to the practicing temp control.  It's not hard but it does require some finesse. 

Good luck and have fun!
    I will never cook inside again.