Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks for all the Turbo Butt posts….

Options
Decided to try this method and see what everyone is talking about. Bought two butts, 7&8 pounders. Today was a yard work day, so get the egg settled in @ 325. Put the butts on @ 8:30 this am. Went indirect, and 4 good chunks of peach wood. Cut the lawn and cleaned up the yard a bit. It was great to be in the front yard and smell the awesomeness coming from the back yard. It was like that all day long. Total cook was about 8 hours for the smaller butt, and the larger one came off about 45 mins later. Let them rest and then pulled them. Bark was good, and it was moist too. I am gald to have tried this way, thanks to all of you who have suggested it. It is great to have another way to do this type of cook. 

Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks great. Nice cook, and the way I've done my last few butts. Great technique.
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    Looks delicious!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @Tjcoley yea I like the option of starting it in morning and having it ready for supper.
    @MaskedMarvel. Thanks a lot. It was great, did two butts, one is for my daughter and family. They love it and it is the unwritten rule, that if I am doing one, they get one too.
    ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @Tjcoley yea I like the option of starting it in morning and having it ready for supper.
    @MaskedMarvel. Thanks a lot. It was great, did two butts, one is for my daughter and family. They love it and it is the unwritten rule, that if I am doing one, they get one too.
    ;)
    I have the same rule with my neighbor.  Whenever I do pulled pork, they get enough for a family dinner.  Keeps them from complaining about the smoke.
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    ;)
    I have the same rule with my neighbor.  Whenever I do pulled pork, they get enough for a family dinner.  Keeps them from complaining about the smoke.
    Win, Win. Good on you. ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    Whenever I do one, I do an extra for the gang at work..  Cheap fun pulled pork!

i've just started turboing - 350* seems to work for me..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Scotbradly725
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I am doing my first turbo butt cook tomorrow. I am also doing two butts that are both between 7-8lbs. I am taking them for a feed at work tomorrow night and am a bit nervous about them getting done in time to get to work! I'm thinking I'm gonna fire up the egg around 0630 or so and hopefully have it stablized at 350 by 0730 or so. I'm guessing that should give me plenty of time to get them cooked, wrapped and transported to work by 5pm?