Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leftover ham!!

Options
SpartanPride
SpartanPride Posts: 161
I'm sure I'm not the only one with tons of leftover ham. Any great ideas for leftovers besides the classic sandwich (to be had tonight I'm sure) and throwing it in with some eggs??

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Sure do! This is my bodacious recipe for a very hearty thick ham and bean soup that I have perfected over the years. Trust me this isn't your Mother's recipe so don't turn up your nose without reading it through!

RRP’s Ham & Bean Soup

1# navy beans prepared as described below
    9 pints of water will be needed in total
    3 cups of diced ham
    1 left over ham bone, plus any large chunks of fatty meat saved while trimming down the ham bone – especially that which may still have some of the exterior glaze!
    ¼ pound butter
    1 cup grated carrots (typically 1 large one)
    1 cup diced onion (1 medium onion)
    1 cup thinly diced celery (about 2 large stalks)
    2 tsp freshly ground pepper (90 grinds)
    3 tsp salt
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 tsp chili powder
    2 T sifted flour
    ½ t Wright’s concentrated hickory liquid smoke
    ½ t Kitchen Bouquet

Method A. Sort through beans for any bad ones, rinse and place in large pot with 4 pints of cold water. Bring to a boil for three minutes, turn off heat, but leave on the burner and keep covered for one hour and 15 minutes.

Or Method B which I really prefer! This is a recap from Cook’s Illustrated in Nov ’10 issue: For 1 pound of dried Navy beans dissolve 3 tablespoons of table salt in 3 quarts of cold water. Let soak for 16 to 24 hours at room temperature. Drain and rinse well before proceeding

Drain beans and rinse again. Add 4 pints of cold water, plus the ham bone. Simmer for 3 hours. First hour uncovered and next 2 hours with cover slightly ajar.

Sauté the carrots, celery and onions in ¼ lb of butter. Season with salt, pepper, comino powder and chili powder. In a separate shaker place 2 T of sifted flour and THEN add 1 pint of tap hot water and mix thoroughly to make a slurry and set aside.

Remove the ham bone after carefully saving any additional ham from it that becomes visible after the long simmer. Also remove the chunks of fat. Add the diced ham, sautéed vegetables and flour slurry to the pot of beans. Add the Wright’s smoke and Kitchen Bouquet and stir well. Heat thoroughly on simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

For reference just 1 pint of this well mixed hearty soup is a nice size serving. Normally this recipe yields 7 pints of bodacious very thick ham and bean soup. Enjoy!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Ham Salad
    Ham and Eggs/Omlettes
    Ham sandwiches 
    Ham hock in a pot of Pinto beans with cornbread. 
    Ham in green beans
    Ham in collard greens
    Green eggs and ham. 
    Ham quiches 
    Baked Potato with broccoli and chunks of ham  (butter, Sour Cream, cheddar cheese)
    shall I keep going???

• SpartanPride
    Options
    Great suggestions!! Thanks guys. I have lots of cooking to do!
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    @SpartanPride My favorite is making omelets.  Scallions, cheese, salt and pepper , ham and whatever else you like.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Ham and potato soup
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Thanks, @RRP I have a major bone with a lot of meat left after the Easter Ham Attempt (#4)  which, by the way, was fantastic!  I am going to cook up your recipe minus the last 2 ingredients for some friends - Don't want to overdo the flavor.
    Milton, GA.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited April 2014
    Options
    flynnbob said:
    Thanks, @RRP I have a major bone with a lot of meat left after the Easter Ham Attempt (#4)  which, by the way, was fantastic!  I am going to cook up your recipe minus the last 2 ingredients for some friends - Don't want to overdo the flavor.

Fine... one half teaspoon of liquid smoke in 7 pints of finished soup won't be missed other then to you while cooking that bodacious soup! As for the Kitchen Bouquet it only adds color IMO so be it. I just hope you and your friends enjoy it as much as we do! BTW you will be surprised just how much RICH delicious meat you will find on that bone after it has been in the pot. I used to think I had really trimmed it to the bone, but not so!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    cut some up
    place in a bowl
    go watch TV and eat it like it was potato chips  (I love to just snack on Ham)

but if you want another suggestion to use it in a recipe
    slice it and add it to your favorite scalloped potato recipe
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I use the ham hock for red beans and rice. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    potato au gratin, colcannon, pea soup, stock with the ham bone for portuguese kale and chourico stew
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SpartanPride
    Options
    Well I'm running out of ham, but I might have to fire up another one with all these ideas!!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Yellow split pea soup when you have used up most of the ham.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options

Toss some in some smoked mac and cheese.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014