Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rattlesnake Tails

This was my first attempt at making Rattlesnake Tails.  I used the following link as my inspiration:

I went to three different grocery stores, including Whole Foods, and I couldn't find Anaheim peppers.  Maybe they're a seasonal item?  Instead, I used Cubanelle Peppers and Poblano Peppers.  The stuffing was one pound of ground turkey and one pound of spicy Italian sausage, mixed with two tablespoons of Dizzy Pig's Swamp Venom, some garlic powder, lemon pepper, and a quick pour of some leftover homemade Carolina-style bbq sauce.  

Once stuffed with the mixture above, I wrapped the peppers with strips of bacon.  Anaheim peppers must be smaller because the original recipe called for one strip of bacon per pepper.  It took me at least two slices per pepper.  I also secured with toothpicks.  Add in a dusting of Swamp Venom on the finished products.  
They hit the LBGE indirect at 300 degrees, with a big handful of apple and sugar maple wood chips.  After about 30 minutes I flipped them over and continued cooking for another 30 minutes.  I then coated the tails with a mixture of store-bought bbq sauce, honey, and butter.  I didn't even measure them out--I used up all the sauce and honey I had on hand.  Another 10 minutes per side once basted, and they were all finished.  

The Cubanelle pepper gave off a much sweeter flavor than the Poblano.  While neither were spicy, the Cubanelle was just better in my opinion.  Also, I did not roast the Poblanos and remove the skins before cooking.  The Poblano skins were definitely edible, so I'm not sure it would have been necessary.  My wife and I, along with three of the neighbors who conveniently began circling my driveway, were all really pleased with the results.  We'll be doing this one again!

Eggin', craft beer and good cigars.  Tampa, Florida

Comments