Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak and Cheese Spices, etc...

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
I sliced up some beef roast for steak and cheese sandwiches but was wondering what spices, cheese, and other condiments typically go on one.  I think that just plain salt and pepper goes on with provolone cheese.  What about oil and vinegar?  Any advice is appreciated!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    I personally slice Ribeye steaks, but roast works as well. I just use typical seasoning. garlic salt and pepper. Nothing special, the meat should be the showcase.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i think most regular steak and cheese around me is just salt pepper, american cheese and maybe a thin coating mayo in the roll.

this is my version done in a wok, 2 tablespoons dark mushroom soy, 1 tablespoon 3 crabs fish sauce, i teaspoon sugar, marinade 4 hours and cook in the wok. terryaki steak bomb with peppers, onions, mushrooms, salami, and pepperjack

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    "Whiz with." Cheese whiz. It's the best "cheese" to use. Provolone is second to the whiz.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    yzzi said:
    "Whiz with." Cheese whiz. It's the best "cheese" to use. Provolone is second to the whiz.
    Aren't you supposed to drop the "h"? "wiz wit, provie wit-out"
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    Back of the line if you mess up
    Chester, MD
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I can't get wit the whiz.  I tried it once at Pats and I prefer Provolone.   I like sauteed peppers and onions and lots of provie.   I'm sure mushrooms would be great as well.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    If you can find Sharp Provolone, go for it.  Best cheese steak I ever had in South Philly was at John's Roast Pork, and the sharp provolone made the sandwich.