Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook on XL

Options

Picked up the XL on Friday, cooked an overnight on Saturday to break it in. 2 pork butts from Sams.

I had bought a BBQ Guru Cyber Q but apparently something is wrong with the controller because it wont run the fan, and the Wifi wont work either. The temps on it worked though so that wasn't too bad.

So I had to control temps manually when I didn't expect to. It turned out good I think for a first time with anything other than a gas grill. Temps fluctuated on me a little bit but overall everything worked out. Now I have to send the Guru back to have it looked at. My fan works fine on my buddy's DigiQ so I know its not the fan, but the controller. Plus I'm decently good with computers so I think there is just something up with the controller itself.

Forgot to take a whole bunch of pics but at least I have a couple.

XL Big Green Egg 

Laplace, LA

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Butts look good!  That is a really nice setup you got there!  Too bad about the guru, but it is good that you didn't let it stop you.  I'm sure they will take care of it...prolly just a bad relay or something. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks good! I personally don't have a control unit for low & slow cooks. It's a good thing to get used to doing it manually just in case. Doesn't appear that not having it hindered you in any sort of way. Great first low & slow!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Like your set up a lot! You do yourself? Pork looks great too. Your off to a heck of a start
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I too like your setup and the pork butts look great. I have been thinking of doing something similar.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Love the setup.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Great work space. Like an old school pit.
  • jcracing31
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments, no I got the guy that poured the concrete to lay the bricks that were leftover from pulling up under the patio. I stained the concrete and did the rest though.

XL Big Green Egg 

Laplace, LA