Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Cast Iron grid

Options
tulocay
tulocay Posts: 1,737
Just bought the BGE CI grid yesterday. Now the question is, how to clean and take care of it? Do you just burn off the food/drippings? Thanks in advance.
LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Yeah, I rarely deep clean it. Typically everything burns off while the egg is cooling down. I'll sometimes take a grill brush to it.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Thanks Chris
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    I bought the cast iron grid with my egg two years ago and have never used the stainless steel one (not sure if that was a good idea or not).  I live in a very humid climate where everything rusts but I have left my grid outside the whole time and have never specifically cleaned it other than brushing it, and it gets "cleaned" when I take the egg up to high heats.  It has rusted, honestly, but that doesn't seem to matter. It still works great.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2014
    Options
    In FL here w/ BGE c.i. grid. Oil it up and use it. Use a stiff brush to knock off food etc. Heat will burn a lot of the gunk off and reoil occasionally. Mine stays in the egg most of the time and with c.i. pan and thus far has kept both from humidity etc.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I kind of oil do you use?  It seems like the cooks oil it.

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    The cooks do assist in seasoning it for sure. I just occasionally hit it with canola (brush it on). Like I said I only reoil occasionally (very seldom because it rarely looks "dry"). I will also hit with oil if I'm doing something delicate like lobster tails or scallops etc. But, I treat it like a c.i. pan as far as cleaning (never, ever do I soap and scour it. At the most I guess one could clean with plain water and stiff brush and immediately dry and lightly reoil (for obvious reasons don't clean with water etc until the grid is cool never hot).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Careful when cleaning those grids boys and girls. This story is a couple years old, and I'm sure you've all heard it, but it's probably a good idea to check for loose wires on the grid. I mostly let the heat do the cleaning. Not because of the wire thing, I'm just too lazy to grab the brush. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut