Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Packer is On

Options
BuckeyeBob
BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to many of you on here for your suggestions, I am cooking my first packer. As I mentioned earlier in the week, we cannot usually find full packers here in Chicago but found one at Costco. I watched the Aaron Franklin YouTube video on trimming and got to work. I think I may have overdone the trimming a little bit especially on the hard fat section between the point and the flat. Here are some pics as I got started.

All trimmed up and ready for the rub.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Covered in rub.

On the Egg just getting started.

I ended up using a rub from the latest Adam Perry Lang book that is mostly salt and pepper but with a few other things. I am cooking it at 225 with some Apricot wood as I didn't have any Oak. Plan is for it to be done early afternoon tomorrow and then I will also make some burnt ends. It already smells great out there.
Clarendon Hills, IL

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Looks great-great eats await.  An observation-if running 225*F on the dome it will likely take forever to get to the finish-line given the dome usually runs around 20-40*F hotter than the grid with indirect cooks (gap narrows as time goes on with the dome shut).  Finish-line is when you can probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance either way.  Usually happens somewhere around 190-205*F.
    And I would give a bit more thought to using the point for burnt ends-the point will run hotter than the flat due to the higher fat content-but when all is finished it is the best eats of that big hunk of beef.  BTW-grain pattern of the flat and point are different; always slice against the grain. Check out Franklin's youtube videos for so some great insights! Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looks like it'll be awesome... Settle in and enjoy the ride.
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    With regards to temp, I usually clip my DigiQ temp probe to the grid so it is measuring the temp at food level. Should I clip it up higher ? I have always done this way but wanted to see how others do.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I will refrain from any temperature measurement/assessment threads-your cooks are based on the info/eggsperience you acquire from your history.  So, whatever bench-mark you use to evaluate the BGE response is yours to decide how to proceed.  That said, I only run with the dome thermo temps FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Thanks lousub. Again, that has worked for me in the past.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • golfandgrill
    Options
    I really hope your ohio state hockey team takes a dump against Wisconsin tonight. That being said good luck on the brisket
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Golfandgrill what a game that is. And the Badgers fighting hard in basketball. Crazy sports night.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • golfandgrill
    Options
    Yeah no kidding. Can't believe the badgers tied it up. I need OSU to lose for the Sioux to make it
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Ended up taking the brisket off around 1:30 this afternoon after 17 hours. Did not foil but let it just go until I could insert a probe with no resistance. It turned out good but definitely room for improvement. I think I may have overlooked it slightly and the flat was a little dry but overall, I think it was a success and SWMBO declared it better than when I just do the flat. Here are a few pics:

Right off of the Egg

And a picture of the point sliced.

I will say that the YouTube videos do help shorten the learning curve for trimming and slicing. Made it a lot easier and I'm sure will get better with time.

Once again, thanks to all on here for your help and suggestions, comments, etc.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Just a minor suggestion.  Any part of the packer that hangs out past the pan should be protected from the direct heat by aluminum foil.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.