Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st try Flame Boss

Options
 Lit the egg I have an XL waited about 15 minutes before placing the P/S temp was about 200.  Got out the Boston butt 10 lbs. put on some salt pepper then a pork rub.  Put on several chunks of pecan, apple, and one mesquite chunk.  Hooked up the Flame Boss which was easy, a good looking unit, appears fairly sturdy and couldn't be more simpler to use.    At first I had to take the top off to get the grate temp up some probably should have let the temp come up more on the initial start up.  I've got the top opened about a 1/4 inch right now. Set the grate temp for 240 and it is holding right at 233.  Dome temp is right at 250 and grid temp according to the F/B is 233 which should be just about right.  Since this is the first time using any controller I'll be watching it kind of closely to see when the fan kicks on and off and overall how it works. 

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    I've used mine a few times now......works just fine. I like the big screen with all the info displayed at once, and ease of programming. Past that, it's just as good as any other temp controller I have used. It's supposed to "learn" your grill, so we'll see if it gets more responsive.
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    Yes that will be the interesting part.  I believe each egg is different in it's own right.  I would read how many people would only have the vents opened a 1/4 inch and be running 250-300, not mine.  I'd have to keep the bottom vent open a good 1/2 to 1 inch at times to keep a good solid 250. 
  • Duranhler
    Duranhler Posts: 78
    Options
    Looking forward to your ongoing thoughts of the Flame Boss.
    If possible, some pictures would be great!
    Thanks
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    mimauler said:
    I'd have to keep the bottom vent open a good 1/2 to 1 inch at times to keep a good solid 250. 
    With or without a temp controller, that's much more than you should have to for that temp.  What kind of charcoal and fire grate?  1/2 - 1 is where I would be for 350F.
  • reelbizzy
    Options
    I'm trying my new flame boss controller tomorrow; can't wait! Also, just ordered one for my mom.