Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

picnic shoulder - remove skin?

Options
AlbertaEgger
AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
From what i recal from some past readings, most prefer to remove the skin before cooking. Im going to put one on tonight for some pulled pork tomorrow. Remove skin and rub? I have only done butts in the past.
County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I do.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AlbertaEgger
    Options

I do.

Thought so. I'll remove.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Not in the eggsperience of @L_S-but I am in the same camp-even if I am in the lower 48:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    For pulled pork, yes, remove it so you can get more bark.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I just bought one yesterday. I usually buy butts (no skin), but at $2.99 per lb for butt vs $1.49 for shoulder, I will remove it myself! Looking forward to it - haven't had any since before Christmas! Doc says it's not real healthy.  ;;)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I've done it with the skin on. You sacrifice bark and rub area, but its really juicy.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Wife wanted to cook it at as a Ham, not pulled. But we have done probably 5 hams since the last pulled pork. Kids voted for pulled as well. I stayed out of it. But pulled pork sandwiches tomorrow it is.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    So what do you plan on doing with the skin?

I would smoke the skin, then crisp it up in the oven to make homemade pork rinds.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Options
    Leave it on. Crispy pork skin is a delicacy. Not healthy but delicious.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Score the skin in 1 inch cubes and cook at 300. I cook them alot and without scoring the skin never comes out crisp. I posted a picture of one on another thread a week or so ago but I am on my phone now so no pics.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    I look forward to a good bark, so this time I am going to remove, but I will probably try scoring it one time I'm sure.