Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pepper Stout Beef Stall?

Options
Hey guys,
Ive got a 4.5 lbs chuck roast on to make Pepper Stout beef. The Egg is at 260 and the roast has been on for almost 4 hours. The IT is at 149 and has been so for the last 45 minutes. I need to get to 165 IT. Is this a stall? Should I just let it continue like it is or should I bump the Egg temp to get past this? Dinner was going to be at 5. Now it looks like 6 or 7 but that wont be a problem.

Thanks,
Bud
Large BGE
Lawrenceville, GA

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    That's about right, but you can bump the egg up a bit anyway.
    NOLA
  • sstripes96
    Options
    Im going to bump it for now. Thanks.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Duranhler
    Options
    I've got a 3.25#'er on now also. It's been on 3.5 hrs now & has been sitting at 147° about an hour.
    The egg settled in at 245°. I'll start bumping them when meat gets closer to 155°ish
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • sstripes96
    Options
    Meats been at 149 for 2 hours. Ive bumped it to 285.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Meats been at 149 for 2 hours. Ive bumped it to 285.

Can drive you nuts, can't it...... It does me!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I routinely figure the chuck roast pulled beef will take 4.5-5 hrs to get to the 160's (250-270*F on the dome) and another 2-3 hrs to get to 210*F to pull.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Agreed @lousubcap. I think a longer stall really helps break down the tissues and makes the end product oh so much better.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    edited February 2014
    Options

Agreed @lousubcap. I think a longer stall really helps break down the tissues and makes the end product oh so much better.
    Well, that's good. The stall lasted 2.5 hours. Once it got past 149 it hit 165 in about 40 minutes. The large fat ribbon that ran thru the middle is gone. The veggies and beer are in, covered , and back on at 350. It smells awesome.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Glad you waited it out, it will be much mo better!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • sstripes96
    Options
    It turned out great. The heat from the pepper and the Jalapenos was perfect. My daughters boyfriend thought it was way too spicy He is a very bland eater and probably thinks that milk is too spicy. I left it on a tad too long as there wasn't too much liquid left. This was a welcome change from pulled pork.

Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Looks like it turned out better than mine. I think I just didn't cook it enough before trying to pull. Still made tasty sandwiches though. Yours looks great.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @sstripes96-Grerat result-and I am in the pulled beef over pulled pork camp as well.  The beef may take a bit more effort but totally worth it.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sstripes96
    Options
    Thanks Guys. I couldn't have done it without all the tips and tricks Ive learned here. I had wanted to pull it to shred after 2.5 hours but decided to let it go the full 3 hours before shredding it. That half hour made all the difference.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA