Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Lobster Tail Question

Options
Have any of you guys done butter poached lobster tail in your sous vide cooker?  I have looked on line and I am finding that times and temps are all over the board.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I have done them twice. Once at 145 for 1 1/2 hours. That was in the shell. Next time I took the meat out of the shell and went 1 hour. Both were excellent. If you leave them in the shell, remove the membrane and wrap tightly in plastic wrap before you vac seal. If you don't you will use about four bags on each one before the spines stop piercing them like I did. X(

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Thanks Steve.  That sounds more reasonable to me.  Some of the recipes I saw had anywhere from 120-130* for 15 minutes.  Sounded more like sushi to me.  Not sure how anything could poach at 120 in 15 minutes.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • Little Steven
    Options
    BOWHUNR said:
    Thanks Steve.  That sounds more reasonable to me.  Some of the recipes I saw had anywhere from 120-130* for 15 minutes.  Sounded more like sushi to me.  Not sure how anything could poach at 120 in 15 minutes.

Mike
    Ya man! I remember when I was looking I saw some that were like 5 1/2 hours at 150 as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I was in the same boat recently. Here's the cook thread: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1160992/sv-lobster-tail-with-oil

I probably could have cooked them longer, since the tails I bought from Costco were bigger than what most recipes stated. I really liked the lobster oil though, and would recommend trying it sometime. 

Lobster oil. (Adapted from Tom Aikens)

Fennel bulb  1 piece
     Shallots, chopped  2 pieces
     Garlic cloves, smashed   3 pieces
     Olive oil 700ml
     Star anise 6 pieces
     Black peppercorn 12 pieces
     Fennel seeds 1 tsp
     Tomato paste 1 TBSP
     Carrots 2 pieces
     Salt 3g
     Pepper a/n

Heat 200 ml of olive oil, add in the lobster shells and sauté for 4 minutes.

Add the carrots and cook for a further 4 minutes, then add the shallots, fennel and garlic and continue cooking for 4 minutes.

Add the salt, the thyme and rosemary, star anise, peppercorn and fennel seeds, cook for 3 minutes and add the tomato paste.

After 3 more minutes finally add 400 ml of olive oil. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. off the heat add the stalks of tarragon to the oil (reserve the leave for later) and leave to cool to room temperature then chill for 12 hours. Pass the oil through a fine sieve and reserve.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Thanks @caliking, that looks and sounds great!!

Mike

Omaha, NE