Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Smell

Options

I bought a package of babybacks from Costo (3 to a pack).  The sell by date was yesterday.  Yesterday when I opened them there was a really distinct smell that I've never had with ribs before. 

I ended up cooking them and they tasted fine.  I haven't gotten sick yet but I wouldn't let my kids or wife have any. 

Any thoughts on why they would smell so badly out of the package?

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Usually a bad sign. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    I've also found pork can have a distinctive odor.  That's why I always rinse pork.  I am ServSafe certified and can assure you this isn't out of the ordinary, especially if the meat was in a cryovac package.  Hope I could help.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    We've had people post that before.  Always with cryopac.  If you let them sit out for a half hour after opening and they still smell the same, then there's a good chance they may be bad.  However, we've had a number of instances with smell from being cryopac'd and they've been perfectly fine.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio