Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Packer Pot Roast

Options
SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
I did my first packer yesterday, and it was a learning experience.  Long store short I really overcooked it so it just fell apart when I was slicing.  I put it on at about 8 PM on Friday night.  At about 9:45 Saturday morning it was 199 in the middle and thought it felt right.  This is where I think I went wrong, I immediately put it into my oven at 170 degrees.  I checked the oven with the maverick, and it was fluctuating between 174-185 range.  I think that was too hot and it continued to cook.  

It was actually still really good, just not what I was expecting.  The point was quite similar to pot roast.  My neighbors really liked it, but next time I will not use my oven to hold it for that long.

Another thing I learned is I didn't trim off nearly enough fat.  I was trying to err on the side of caution because I didn't want to trim away too much, but it still had a ton of fat I hat to trim away while slicing. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments