Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Silicone Around Bottom Vent

Options
I have a LBGE that has received quite a bit of use over the course of the 27 months I have owned it. In the calendar year of 2013 I logged 227 cooks and now the egg is in need of some up keep. My fire ring is in toe pieces, the bottom of the egg has a hairline crack, my nomes gasket is gone and the silicone seal across the top a the bottom vent has begun to flake off. Last night I noticed I could see the glow below the grate through the gap between the ceramic and the metal. I really should just go to my dealer and get a new bottom through my warranty but I will bet I will have to wait for a shipment to get one. My question is, what kind of silicone would I need if I wanted to seal the gap in the meantime. Any help would be appreciated.
Nerk Ahia LBGE

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I just rebuilt my Mini. I was told that the pure clear silicone is what to use. Not the silicone 2.

I removed the 4 nuts on the inside and carefully cut away the old with a razor blade to remove. Then with a plastic scraper remove all of the old from the bottom and the vent plate. Then I put a healthy bead around the opening in the bottom and attached the vent back. Do not over tighten the bolts, just snug the vent up to the bottom. Then give it a day or so.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Hotch. I didn't know if there was a high heat silicone or not. Between this issue and no gasket, I'm sure my lump consumption will go up.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I will say the original silicone bead do not seal the vent at all. It was about 25%.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX