Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Maverick

Options

I was playing with one of my Christmas presents this evening a Maverick wireless thermometer, well its reading a much different temperature than my stock dome one. I read earlier about having to sometimes calibrate the permanent thermometer in the dome???

The Maverick was showing 380 at the grid but my dome was 120 degrees cooler, I gave it plenty of time to balance out but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

On a positive note the burgers on the new Cast Iron grate rocked!!!!! 425 degrees-4 minutes a side and BAM!!!!!

Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -

Comments

• jenericzac
    Options
    I just got a maverick 733 for xmas. Checked the probes in boiling water and they were dead on. Checked my dome thermometer the same way and it was off so I calibrated it. When I cooked my turkey yesterday I was getting around 325vat the grate and 300 on the dome. I figured it was from thevhotbair coming around the plate setter
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I am guessing since you were cooking burgers you were cooking direct. If that was the case the maverick was in direct line of flame and heat which cause the difference. I will only use my mavericks on indirect cooks and it is over the PS out of the direct heat line. You got to be careful using on a higher heat cook cause you could fry your probes

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I am guessing since you were cooking burgers you were cooking direct. If that was the case the maverick was in direct line of flame and heat which cause the difference. I will only use my mavericks on indirect cooks and it is over the PS out of the direct heat line. You got to be careful using on a higher heat cook cause you could fry your probes
    +1

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options

jenericzac- I do remember reading about the boiling water, I will check tomorrow.

Mattman3969- YES it was direct. I have just wanted to get it going since Monday. I will be careful of burning the probes, I have read other members have burnt them up.
    Thanks guys.
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Somebody found high-temp probes for the maverick recently. Was it @laserdoc85?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.