Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye of round roast for chili?

Options
Black_Badger
Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,
Picked up an eye of round roast today thinking I'd try it for pepper stout beef. Looks like the consensus here is that's a bad plan. To be honest looks like many of you kind of hate this cut...

Well, now that I've got it I want to do something with it, so I thought maybe chili. Thoughts ?

By the way,  it looks like there are maybe two things called eye of round, one very lean, cylindrical and almost like a loin. The one I have is not like that, more fat more marbling, less regularly shaped. Is thin sliced roast beef the only thing this is good for?

Cheers
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    IMO it is two lean for chili.  Stuff it with fresh garlic, rub it with Montreal, and roast it.  Pull, rest, and cut when the internal is 130.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Went ahead and made up some chili, turned out really nice. Will post with pics later. 
    Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI