Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasting method seen on food network

Options

I'm a fan of "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" (aka, Triple D) on the food network.  Several times I've seen recipes where they are roasting something and cover it with what looks like ordinary saran wrap and then aluminum foil.   While I see how this would be a good method to keep in moisture, I don't understand how the plastic doesn't just melt in the oven? Is this something other than saran wrap? Also, how does it keep from blowing up like a balloon?  They never mention poking holes to let the steam out.  Sorry for such a novice question but this has been bugging me for a while now.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    From what I've read, restaurant-grade plastic wrap is used to protect the food from drying out. I guess it's due to the fact that commercial ovens are typically convection and much more powerful than home ovens. I suppose it doesn't blow up because it is not air-tight.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    It doesn't blow up because the foil keeps it down and it doesn't melt because of the moisture from the meat
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thanks for the post.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I've wondered about this for years now glad to see some info about it.I want to try it out sometime.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Eggcellent
    Options

Thanks for the comments.  Guess I'll just have to give it a shot one of these days.

Merry Christmas.