Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's reverse searing prime rib?

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
I got a 7 pound Prime rib that I'm going to reverse sear at 250 for a couple hours and then bump it up higher as I get closer to dinner. How long does it usually take a roast to get up around 120 at 250? My target is going to be 130 then rest.
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I figure around 20-25 mins/# at 250*F on the dome to the mid-high 120's.  YMMV-  enjoy. BTW-here's a good read on roasts, sizes and cook-times plus a whole lot more: http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • yzzi
    Options
    Yeah I found that site shortly after posting. I had my egg stabilized at 220 and put it in around 1:30. It is already at 90 degrees an hour and a half later. I closed vents down even more so it's at sub 200. Hopefully it won't finish too early.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    My 6 lb standing rib roast(choice from Kroger) last night took almost 3 hours at 250 to reach 118 then I removed and got the Egg to about 500, rubbed a thin layer of evoo on the roast and seared on each side for about 45-60 seconds. Cast iron grid was already hot, as I had it under the plate setter. It was really good.

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I'm doing a 7lb boneless on Thursday. Planning 225 grid, guessing 3 hours, then rest and sear @ 500 or so. Thinking 550 indirect for 6 min on the sear. Any thoughts on my sear method?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • yzzi
    Options
    108 now after 2 hours. Egg is steady at 181. almost ready for rest and sear. Dinner at 5 . should be OK.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    Options
    @cookingbob, I'm planning a 550 direct on each side. I'll let you know how that works out.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I'm doing a 7lb boneless on Thursday. Planning 225 grid, guessing 3 hours, then rest and sear @ 500 or so. Thinking 550 indirect for 6 min on the sear. Any thoughts on my sear method?
    I have never tried to sear indirectly.  When I do steaks, or prime rib now, I always reverse sear. I put my cast iron grid on the fire ring and plate setter legs up on that, factory grid on that.  That way the cast iron is hot. I dry the meat and brush with oil. By that time the Egg is hot enough, sear for a minute or so on all sides.  Works well.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • yzzi
    Options
    Turned out really good. Sear went a bit nuclear. Climbed quickly up to 700 and flared up a lot when trying to rotate it. Thank goodness I had my long grill gloves on since my arms were in flames. I definitely recommend the reverse sear on prime rib. Low with a handful of Jack Daniels oak chips was very nice. image
    Dunedin, FL
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I do not have a CI grate or a woo. Have to do on the std grate at felt height (on XL). Read another cook who used his oven @ 500 for final sear. Will do a little more research
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Coach292
    Options
    Here is what I did. Smoked it (used Mickey's coffee rub for the first time it was excellent!) on a plate setter with water underneath till internal of about 115-120. Took roast off and plate setter off.jacked up the heat to about 500. Let it cook for about 10 minutes or so or until it hit 125-130. The ribs on the bottom will protect the meet from getting over done with the direct heat. Actually the ribs turned out tasty too.