Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aluminum Brining Pot

Options

While shopping for supplies for a yakitori cook this weekend, I came across what must be a 10 gallon aluminum pot.  Any serious adverse consequences from using this as a brining pot?

Not too worried about the potential to damage the pot, it is just plain aluminum.  I don't want to somehow flavor the meat or risk a health issue.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    I have an exact kind of pot. It's called the "BASP" to my wife - "big ass stew pot." I've had nothing adverse happen when I've used it - even for overnight brines.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    have never had a problem with an aluminum pot making the taste different and im using my great grandmothers old aluminum pots with the wooden handles, even keeping food in the fridge overnight. :D thinking of all the old frozen dinners stored in those aluminum trays that i grew up eating with all that added salt and still didnt notice any off flavors. i bough a huge plastic beer cooler at the christmas tree shop this summer though that would probably fit 3 turkeys and it cost 12 dollars, i would ptobably still go with the beer cooler, easier to control temps
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You may get some leaching with acid foods but not very much, we are talking on a microgram level. Aluminum salt antacids have 200 or so milligrams.

The aluminum-Alzheimers link that popped up in the sixties has never been proven.